Monday, April 27, 2009

On diarrhea of the mouth…

One of the museums fundraisers took place last Thursday evening.

The black tie seated dinner took place downtown, and had about 150 people in attendance (a good number considering the economy and how much a ticket costs). My boss, coworker (let’s call her Nina Fairchild) and I were in charge of checking people in and handing out table assignments.

Everyone could bring a date if they wanted. Most had provided their guest’s names when calling or mailing in their RSVPs, but not all. One female attendee in particular had told us she’d be bringing a guest, but failed to provide his name. Normally, this isn’t a problem. It was, however, in this particular incidence because her date came to the table to check both of them in using his name, not hers. And his name was John Bobbitt.

Nina: “[Without thinking…] Right. And will Lorena be joining us as well?”

[Brief pause while Nina realizes that she just said that out loud and not in her head]

Nina: “OMG! I am so sorry! I didn’t mean to say that! It just came out! Oh, no! Oh, no! Oh, no! I am SO sorry! Please forgive me!”

Mr. Bobbitt: “No problem. I get it all the time. My date is actually [blah, blah, blah].”

Nina: “[Still bright red…] Okay, here is [blah, blah, blah’s] and your table assignment. Cocktails are through that door over there.”

Mr. Bobbitt: “Thank you so much. And, really, don’t worry about it. I’ve been getting stuff like that since 1993.”

Nina: “I’m still sorry, but thanks.”

My Boss: “[Waiting until Mr. Bobbitt is out of earshot…] Nina Fairchild! I am going to beat you!”

So, yeah, THAT was fun in a completely mortifying kind of way. Poor Nina!

I don’t know what we would have done if Mr. Bobbitt hadn’t been so gracious!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol, I probably would have done the same thing. Poor Nina!