Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Reason 567 why people in Highland Park are dumb...

This morning I saw a woman in a pink sweater at the Starbucks in the Highland Park Village. A THICK, pink sweater to be exact.

I know what you are thinking. You are asking yourself, "What is so 'dumb' about a woman in Highland Park wearing a sweater?"

Well, since you inquired (at least hypothetically), I'll tell you. It is supposed to be ninety-five freakin' degrees today in Dallas! And you do what?...Wear a thick sweater (obviously)!

I'm sorry. What?! When did it become socially acceptable to sacrifice "being practical" for "cute and trendy"? And, for that matter, when did it become "hip" to wear out-of-season apparel? Is the fashion industry bi-polar or just plain out of ideas?

Or maybe the HP Bimbo thought that if she dressed for cold weather that it would just...you know...happen. There seems to be a lot of "entitlement" amongst the Parkies (as a species). Maybe she thought that she deserved cold weather because she had made such an oh-my-gawd-adorable-sweater-purchase? She'd already sacrificed practicality for the sake of the sweater, so we can therefore assume that "logic" and/or "brains" did NOT play a part in her early morning outfit selection.

Maybe her intelligence was bleached-out with her natural hair color?

Hehe (low blow, I know...)!

But I digress. No one really knows (or ever will) what goes into the "making" (or "make-up", if you prefer) of a Parkie. You might as well ponder the true meaning of life. The true meaning of life, at least, has an answer (presumably)...

In the end, we are left with the following assertion (made by me, of course):

Yes. While technically it is "fall" and no longer "summer", the weather in
Texas has yet to receive that memo. Therefore, please dress accordingly
(or I might decide to throw rotten fruit at you).

Seriously.


The HP Bimbo was also wearing gold, strappy sandals with seven inch heals, but that is a whole other problem. Apparently, where SHE was going, it was going to be cold and walking wasn't a priority.

18 comments:

JLR said...

oh, fabulous post. I really must spend some quality time at that Starbucks. Life in the bubble!

gabe said...

Hrm... well a couple things come to mind: maybe she was dressing in layers or maybe, like my office, her office is really frickin cold. Amusing...

Amstaff Mom said...

She was wearing a thick sweater AND drinking Starbucks? Double Warm Whammy. Some people never cease to amaze me.

I haven't been in the area lately, but when I was in college, I knew the streets backwards and forwards, as I'd plan out my estate sale route. I did find some good finds.

Lia said...

maybe she was cold. except her feet weren't cold.

or maybe, like me, her winter clothes are nicer than her summer clothes and she's sick of wearing the same thing over and over again and she decided it's just time to start wearing something different. i can't wait to be allowed to pull out my sweaters. but i will wait until i see other people doing it, even though it has started cooling down around here.

Deals On Wheels said...

I think that she really wanted to be on the cutting edge of fashion. Too bad for her that fall has arrived in places like NYC but not so much in Dallas. What is a Parkie to do in such a situation?! Obviously, you sacrifice comfort for fashion (duh)!! I mean, you cannot help it if the weather isn't up with the latest trends...gosh!

Deals On Wheels said...

Oh, and an additional side note, I really do not think that the HP Bimbo had, say, a job, office or anything like that. I say this because I hit Starbucks AFTER a 9:30 AM appointment. Her day seemed to just be beginning at a quarter of eleven.

For all I know, she was on her way to "work out" with her "trainer". She was, after all, wearing jeans. You never can tell with those surgically altered (enhanced?) women, you know...

Lia said...

ah, isn't that the life?

Katie said...

I had to comment before i got any further

the HP Bimbo

LAUGHING OUT LOUD

Heather said...

Standing in front of my closet this morning, I thought, "Well, it's supposed to rain and the temp is supposed to be in the high 70s. My office is like the Arctic. I think that this long sleeve shirt is a good choice." WRONG. I never seem to remember to account for the freaking humidity, so by the time I got to work, and I was sweaty and gross in my chosen shirt, the 60-degree office building air hit me and turned me into a Heather-cube. DAMMIT!

But yes, when I see the sweater people on the streets or the metro or something, I just laugh. Sure, the sweater looks good -- but not as you use the sleeve to wipe the sweat from your forehead, ASSHAT.

Deals On Wheels said...

Haha! I am completely amused by everyone's commentary!

Peachy: Your writing is starting to sound British. Don't go all Madonna on me or we will be in a fight! (hehe…)

Not Peaches: At least DC has more than a season and a half. Texas has summer and "mild". My favorite was when I was in Syracuse. For four years I only experienced extreme seasons and temperatures (Texas summer and Syracuse winter). Then I got to DC and actually had a fall. That was kind of amazing. Remember that woman in our Contemporary Russian class? The one who insisted on wearing scarves and mittens once it got below 60 degrees? How DID you control yourself? (hehe...again)

Lia said...

Poor Heather. That's happened to me, too, and it's the most miserable feeling.

Can't wait for good, solid winter!

Greg said...

Do HP Bimbo's get BO... or does this not stink either.

lol.

Great post.

Amstaff Mom said...

Deals, you get bonus points today for commenting all over the place today. You are on a roll in the blogosphere. Don't be a stranger now.

Greg said...

Funny Post! I never have the problem of my office being to hot or cold! AHHH the life of a stay at home mom! I happen to wear scrub the toliet fashions (sweatshirt and sweatpants,) sorry no 7 inch gold heals and pretty pink sweaters!

Amstaff Mom said...

Deals, I so wanted to meet you yesterday. We went to the Hall of State, but I didn't have the dollar to get in and Jes couldn't reach JLR by phone. I was disappointed, to say the least. Maybe next time.

Deals On Wheels said...

Oh, no! You should have gone to the exhibit exit. RR and I both worked the bookstore yesterday (located next to the exit) so we could have let you in for free. :(

Amstaff Mom said...

Rats and Mice! We should have been more creative, but by that time our legs were hurting (we'd already done the 25 cent foot massage outside the Food and Fiber Building). And all the grease had gone to our brain and we weren't thinking clearly enough. Bummer!

Deals On Wheels said...

"Rats and Mice"

Hehe...you make me laugh!