Monday, October 10, 2005

Dear Constant Reader...

Hello, all!

I would like to apologize for my current lack of new postings. I am working on two rather large entries (because, you know, I'm kind of wordy) right now, and I hope to have them both up by week's end.

In the meantime, I would like to pose a question to all of you "People 'o' BLOGLAND":

One night in college, a bunch of my friends and I were sitting around watching our school's Homecoming football game AND the Miss America pageant (yes, they always came on at the same time every year, so we made an event of it. We ordered pizza, drank beer and made fun of the various (and very vacuous) Miss America contestants, while simultaneously watching our college football team lose to Temple. Again. Ah, yes, you gotta' love the Big East...).

Anyway, during this annual event, a friend of mine oh-so RANDOMLY announced that she thought that the song, HERE COMES THE SUN (by the Beatles), ran through a person's mind while committing the act of homicide (don't you love that a night of football, pizza and Miss America bimbos can lead to a discussion of murder? Because THAT'S morbid...and, yet, strangely logical (I so LOATHE beauty pageants of any kind)).

Now, whenever I hear that song (which is A LOT lately because of the whole State Fair Exhibit theme), I always picture a scene out of some really bad 1970's murder-mystery movie. There is a guy and he is heading up the stairs - weapon in hand - supposedly on his way to "off" someone. The whole thing is in slow-motion, and the only noise that can heard is THAT stupid Beatles's song ("do-di-do-do")!

I always start to giggle at this point, because WHY would THAT song go through a killer's head in the first place?! "Here comes the sun...do-di-do-do". I mean, it is kind of ridiculous if you stop and think about it...

...Yet, I have a friend who DID (and now I KEEP thinking about it, too)!

Which leads me to my question (in a desperate attempt to think of something else the next time I have to listen to THAT song!):

What do YOU think about when you hear the song, HERE COMES THE SUN, by the Beatles?

P.S. If you say "murder" we are SOOOOOO in a fight!!

10 comments:

Greg said...

Murder... but only because it makes me think of the song "House of the Rising Sun..." Which I always thought was about prison... but then I found out it was about a brothel... but for whatever reaon, I think about murder when I hear that song... so... yeah... Murder.

RR said...

I think happy thoughts. It's a cheery song, to me.

Amstaff Mom said...

I think of my uncle. Because I used to borrow his Beatles CD's and I remember listening to them in his living room, sitting by the stereo.

no murder for me.

crngwz - corn grows

Lia said...

Sheeee's back! I was wondering if you still existed.

I will plead youth on this one, as I can't bring the song to mind. Which is weird, because I really thought I knew every song the Beatles had.

Deals On Wheels said...

Okay, Ben and I are in a fight.

RR - The song must not play when you are on duty. It plays for me CONSTANTLY (almost as if it is mocking me somehow).

Lia - Are you calling me old? Because I'm SO much younger than RR. ;)

JLR said...

Sorry, the song just makes me happy.

And now, of course, it will really make me happy, because when I hear it, I will picture you picturing your bad mystery movie.

Greg said...

At least I had some logic to why I thought about murder... doesn't that count? ;)

Deals On Wheels said...

Okay...the twins are bitter people! Taking pleasure in other people's misery?! What's that about?! Humph...we are SO in a fight.

Ben - I suppose you can get points for logic. But only because I also think of murder when I hear that song (much to my current dismay). At least, I know that I am not alone. Of course, you are also the oh-so “logical” person that went from TURD THE TURTLE to...well..."turtle-turtle". I'm still a little upset about that. :P

Greg said...

Nothing....Absolutly nothing! I don't know the song! I know I know.... lived in a bubble as a kid. BUT I am at least not in a fight with you! (wink)

Lia said...

No way, never would I call anyone old. Didn't I mention that I know all their songs? (No, I didn't. I mentioned that I thought that I did, but clearly I don't.) Everyone knows that all the best music was written in the sixties, so you just have good taste.

Except that it makes you think of murder. That's not in such good taste. Makes me think of Agatha Christie.