Thursday, May 04, 2006

Back to the Dark Ages…

I don’t know why I came to work yesterday.

Actually, CORRECTION: I know why I came to work, but I’m not completely sure why I stayed.

Our server was down, hence no email or Internet.

The fax machine went on strike.

The air-conditioning in the main office area malfunctioned.

And, then, for whatever reason, the City of Dallas decided to turn off our water.

Brilliant!

The only good thing that happened was the Coke-a-Cola delivery guy finally showed up to restock the soda machine in the lounge.

For the past several weeks, I’ve been feeding quarters into the machine in an effort to obtain a Diet Coke. However, the machine always decided to give me a regular Coke, instead.

Now, I’m not a fan of regular Coke (too sweet), so I was essentially supporting the Coke habit of one of my coworkers. The same coworker – might I add – who later suggested that maybe I was, “hitting the regular Coke button by mistake.” The mere implication that I had some sort of mental lapse, which resulted in the unintended purchase of a regular soda, bought my coworker an additional three beverages at my expense.

Anyway, all this soda-machine torture was at an end because – FINALLY – the Coke guy was here to fix and restock it.

Or so I thought.

During my lunch break, I popped my three quarters into the machine and hit the DIET COKE button, and you know what happened?...

…Yeah, the machine gave me water.

So, it makes perfect sense that I worked until after 6 PM under such conditions.

Boo!

(At least this time next week I'll be on a cruise!)

6 comments:

Lia said...

Okay, I was just here, and this post wasn't, so I KNOW it wasn't posted on 05/04/2006. But I'll let you get away without without telling the whole internet world that you adjusted the date on the post. Oh, wait, I just told everyone. Oh, well.

Supporting the Coke habit of your co-worker? I would start monitoring your search-engine referrals if I were you. I bet there'll be some interesting hits.

chirky said...

oh my gosh! you should actually call the coke guy and tell him to leave a key with you so that you can properly order all of the beverages.

Deals On Wheels said...

Lia: Yeah, I apparently hit "Draft" instead of "Publish" yesterday, and I didn't notice it until this morning when I went online to see if anyone had commented. Sorry about that!

Jes: I do feel as if I deserve a key to any and all vending machines that I wish to access. Especially since Coke employees people who put regular Coke where diet is supposed to be in the first place. Bah!

Tim Rice said...

You live a hard life! ;)

Amstaff Mom said...

he he - Coke-a-Cola. Maybe they're not letting you get the correct drink because you misspelled their brand name.

I still get a kick out of the sign for Coke.

Yeah, I'm thinking it was a "no-good, very bad day" for you.

1 more week until your cruise - yea!

Deals On Wheels said...

"Pink Tails", "Coke-a-Cola"...think of them as "Dealisms".