Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Kids say...errr...write the darnedest things...

I received a bunch of "Thank You" Letters from several of the student groups that visited the museum recently. These letters always crack me up, and I thought I'd take this opportunity to share a few of my favorites with everyone.

(Be patient, AM. I haven't forgotten to post pictures from my cruise. I just need to get my photos put on a disk first.)


Quotes from “Thank You” Letters to the Docents:

“I am so glad you showed us the big room, it gave me a whole new look on art. I loved it when we talked about heroes. And when you explained the pose of each statue down to the last detail, that was my favorite, except when you spent fifteen minutes explaining the mural.” – John

“My favorite thing of all was the big mural of all the different things going on.” – Blake

“Thanks for pointing out that the Six Flags Theme Park was named because there were six flags over Texas.” – Bevida

“I now know that that big white building is in fact a monument to our state.” – Chris

“I learned if we were to study the mural it would take weeks.” – Gabie

“Your contributing to our visit made it even better.” – Shannon

“I also thought putting all the Texas Heroes in one hall was clever.” – Katie

“I liked to see the Hall of Heroes as well. The statues were as real as they get. And to see the space ships was cool too. I loved it there.” - Andrew

“I cannot thank you enough for guiding me through the wonderful lair of Texas History…You also presented the murals on the walls in a way that really grasped my interest…I especially loved the story of James Fannin. The way you told us his story grabbed me.” – Jordan

“The Hall of Heroes was cool because I knew some of the people who were in there.” – Alex

“I deeply enjoyed all the facts that you gave us about our own country…You were very patient with our class, and I respect that.” - Elliott

“You knew exactly how to make things interesting.” – Ellyn

“Also I liked the chairs that you cannot sit in. I liked them because Queen Elizabeth sat in one of them…In the Great Hall I liked the big Gold Seal because it was so big and most of all it was gold.” – Jarrod

“I remember how you talked about the Gold Statue in the front.” – Tommy

“You helped me for sure to better understand some facts about history.” – Austin

“The Great Seal was almost awe-inspiring.” – Isla

“I also found the door at the entrance that was made out of metals very interesting.” – Stephanie

“Just the front of the Building made it look very honorable as you would say.” – Andrew

“The ceiling lights were really different from regular ones. I like the one that looks like the UFO. Do you have a favorite picture or statue?” – Robert

“I thought you were great because I heard everything you said…You told us about the chairs and who sat in it and what and who was in the paintings. You told us that the lights in each room were different and same as the granite floor. It was great to have you as our guide. I thank you very much for choosing to help us rather than the other class.” – Kit

“You also let us see the different ceilings of rooms and you taught us what they meant.” - Annie

“I thought it was so cool because I have learned about him already.” – Maggie

“You really knew what you were talking about!” – Connor

“Thank you for being so kind to serve as our docent. I can honestly say that I learned a lot from my visit…The Great Seal was also very eye-catching. I also loved the 'Clothing Back in the Day' exhibit.” – Julia

“I also noticed that you knew your stuff!...How did you get to learn so much about Texas History? Was it your favorite subject in school?” – Ryan

“I admire your patience with us.” – Jessica

“The Great Seal was so big and shiny.” – Brian

“You did a great job! You made this field trip for me interesting and fun…You know so much about your job, you were great! You are the best tour guide that I know.” – Elisa

“I’ve never been there before and I think I might come back.” – Christian

“I want to thank you for giving us a tour. I know handling a group of kids isn’t easy. The most amazing thing, I thought, was the mural where the people were dirt. I thought that it properly explained how we use too much of our resources.” - Emily

“All the seventh graders are thankful that you were our docent.” – Gina

“Thank you for showing us the room where they showed us what the people wore back then. They did not have a very good since of style back then. Thank you for showing us the mural with the people in the ground. Then you showed when they were part of the tree.” – Nick

“This field trip would not be possible without you. In other words thank you.” – Michael

“I thought that was interesting because I didn’t know that was there until you told me.” – Olivia

“I learned that the people in the dirt represent oil.” – Claire

“You made this trip more enlightening than I ever dreamed.” – Joseph

“Thank you for being a wonderful tour-guide for my class, I know that it was deeply appreciated…I hope you keep doing a great job. My class and I are very grateful, and I believe some of us will return.” – Peter

“That was an entertaining field trip thanks to you. You may be old but you sure know a lot about your history. You taught me a lot about Texas History. You are a sweet lady and a good tour guide. I paid attention to all of the things that you said.” – Thomas

“In my opinion, you were a great tour guide!” – Christine

“Thank you for taking time out of your day.” – Melanie

“One thing I learned that I didn’t know was the gold oil on the mural at the big hall. Also when you showed us the mural with the bodies on the ground that was dirt.” – Laura

“I will always remember the time I discovered the six soldiers around the lamppost…If you weren’t there to guide us we would all be lost.” – Mark

“The knowledge you know shocks me!...Hopefully I’ll come back to get the full tour!” – Sara

“I’m not a huge artist and I loved it!...I like those puzzle-type things.” – Erin

“I also thought that it was amazing how much you know about history. You must really enjoy it.” – Ellie

“I bet it wasn’t easy to talk that whole time. However, I think you did great. You didn’t ramble on or get off the subject.” – Chris

“Thank you so much for enlightening my class…I think it’s cool that everything stands for something…Thank you again for your patience and effort.” – Ify

“Thanks for tour. Also, sharing all that useful information about our history. Along with that, making us use our minds to answer the questions….I’m just trying to say thank you. Maybe we will visit again soon.” – Vanessa

“Thank you for leading us around on our tour. If it was someone else, I’m not sure how much of it I would have remembered and understood…I never really cared for museums, but I enjoyed this one very much…You are great at what you do. Having you as our guide was much better than last time when I had a grumpy old guy.” – Paul

“You were very educated when it counted…I’m thankful you were patient with us. You also put up with us even when we were bored.” – Daniel

“My favorite part was all the murals. It was cool to see what they showed and how it represented something.” – Michelle

“It was also cool learning about the stories of the six flags over Texas. I did not know that those flags actually meant something!” – Vinny

“Everything was the way it was for some reason.” – Claire

“Without your help I would have missed the meaning of almost everything. Thank you for putting up with us when we were so loud at the bathroom.” – Jordan

“I also enjoyed looking at all the old stuff that belonged to many old famous people…Another thing I liked were the big statues of the heroes of Texas. I thought they were huge. Anyway you were great.” – Sarah

“I learned so much. One thing I learned was that Texas was the 28th state in the United States. Thank you for teaching me that!” – Dee

“The hall of heroes was awesome although Fannin shouldn’t be there…I can’t wait to one day go back to the downstairs.” – Amy

“From studying Texas History all year I didn’t know how much more I could learn. But boy was I wrong.” – Stephen

“You also were very nice. You asked questions we knew.” – Lindsey

“I also enjoyed the mural because it was all stuff I knew and could explain. I also knew a lot of stuff about the heroes and the mural. I was the one who you said had the answer to many questions. I just knew all of it.” – Brian

“You knew exactly what you were talking about, that was a good thing! I also liked how you let us tell you what we knew about the subject, and even when we were wrong you didn’t put us down. You just added on. You knew what every little symbol meant, which was a real jaw dropper!! You were really nice and took in all of our ideas.” – Kristina

“I looked in our text book about the question I asked you. Is it supposed to be Coleto Creek? In our text book it says Coleto Creek. Thank you for helping me with that question.” – Emily

“Thank you so much for giving our class an ‘easy-to-understand’ tour of the Hall of State…I also thought it was cool that all the Texas battles were around the museum.” – Timmy

“I am thankful that you were very nice to everyone and treated us with kindness.” – Hannah

“Thank you so much for being our docent (I was listening).” – Christy

“Although we were tired, and didn’t want to stand, you put up with our groaning.” – Lauren

“Although we weren’t able to sit down while receiving so much information, I think that everyone still had a super, super, super time!” – Kari

“I thank you for being our ‘docent’ (by the way, that means ‘tour guide’).” – Matt

“Although I was sleepy and tired, you made me stay awake because you were such a good tour guide.” – John


Quotes from “Thank You” Letters to one of our Living History Performers:

“I learned one thing in particular. I learned how Sam Houston was shot and how he lived.” – Christian

“There were a lot of things I already knew. But thanks for sharing.” – Jennifer

“My favorite part was when you were doing ‘Deaf’ Smith. He sounded like a funny person.” – Nick

“One day I want to be a historian just like you. Being a historian is fun if you get to teach facts while acting.” – Michael

“I learned more about the Battle of Jacinto, fighting wise. I also learned more about the Battle of San Jacinto and what the scenery looked like.” – Claire

“You refreshed all of our minds on what we read earlier, but in a more entertaining way.” – Peter

“You are a great actor. You are a really cool guy. I hope to be like you when I grow up. You know a lot about Texas History. You should be an actor.” – Thomas

“We had been studying about Sam Houston in Texas History, and I thought I knew everything there was to know about this historical figure. However, I learned at least five new things about him. I liked in the beginning of your monologue when you were ‘coughing’ and explaining how you were ill. To me, that sounded real.” – Christine

“Another funny part was when you told us about the Battle of San Jacinto.” – Laura

“When you pulled out that sword, I could have sworn that Sam Houston was speaking to me. You acted so real coughing like you were just alive again.” – Mark

“I liked the part when you were acting as ‘Deaf’ Smith, it was really funny. I remember that part of the battle at San Jacinto.” – John

“Your reenactment of Sam Houston was amazing! I personally found it a better way of learning than a text book.” – Sarah

“I loved the accent. I’m in theater too and accents are one of my favorites. You taught us a lot too. I like the style as well. Maybe our teachers could dress up when they teach.” – Erin

“I really appreciated the fact that you kept us entertained after we had had such a day.” – Brian

“I loved your acting. You were quite interesting. Some of the dates you mentioned popped out at me. One was my friend’s birthday, another was mine…I am sure that a lot of my classmates enjoyed your performance too.” – Alex

“You were a lot of help to my historical knowledge…Also the knife that you had was very cool and I think all of the guys thought the same. On the other hand the girls were kind of scared.” – Austin

“Reading is one thing, but actually acting it out is another. By the way your performance was flawless. It was a very good show of acting. One of the best things about it was when you showed everyone your saber. That saber was really cool.” – Andrew

“Thank you for playing an important role in Texas History as Sam Houston…It was like a review of what we learned, but really more interesting.” – Kit

“It was really fun to get an interactive Sam Houston.” – Annie

“Although, our Texas History class had already learned a lot about Sam Houston, your performance was still great and interesting.” – Maggie

“Another thing I liked was how you would pause and really enunciate when you said Texas. It was great how you limped because of ‘your’ leg injury.” – Ryan

“It really gave me a first class feeling that Sam Houston was actually there talking to me.” – Brian

“If I didn’t know that Sam Houston was dead, I would have thought that you were him.” – Ali

“I’ve never seen a sword up close like that, so it was my first.” – Andrew

“I also thought that you knew your history, obviously! I guess you had to to know the order of all those events.” - Jarrod

“We can just read any textbook and get the same exact stuff you gave us, but only understand half of it.” – Jordan

“I was kind of confused when you said that Houston was actually called ‘Sam Jacinto’, but I found out you were right.” – Justin

“Everyone was impressed that you were able to prepare all of that information and remember most of it.” – Gina

“You were really a great Sam Houston interpreter…I especially loved hearing about how ‘Deaf’ Smith wasn’t that deaf in the end. It was smart thinking of Sam Houston to use him as a spy.” – Sierra

“That was awesome! Did you ever try out for a play when you were in school, because that was a richly done play!...Was that sword that you had real? Well, anyways it was a good presentation….Hmm, was it hot while wearing those clothes? Yes, I know that question was really random, but I’m curious.” – Anthony

12 comments:

Amstaff Mom said...

Hey! What a complement! At least you weren't the grumpy old man they had last time either!

You excel at your job, obviously.

Way to go Deals!!!


And those quotes were hilarious.

Deals On Wheels said...

Thanks, AM!

To be honest, only a handful were in letters addressed to me. I also get to read through the ones that were addressed to my small army of docents and character actors. I make copies for the department and then pass them on to the addressees.

I love it when I receive these THANK YOU letters in the mail. Priceless is what they are. Absolutely priceless.

Greg said...

I can't read all of them... it is just too much... so I skimmed... I read the short comments.

For your Fyi.

Deals On Wheels said...

Ben: That's okay. I've come to expect that from you. *Sigh* Boys are their short attention spans...(just kidding).

I really put them all on here so I could remember them. I didn't expect everyone to read all of the quotes, anyway. Just a few here and there to brighten the day...

Grammy Pammy said...

I always figured Fannin shouldn't be in there....

Does the gold seal do tricks, too???

...and how about those people in the dirt?

But, most of all, I'm glad that though you're really old, you really know your history....fifteen minutes on the mural! Wow!

Grammy Pammy said...

I always figured Fannin shouldn't be in there....

Does the gold seal do tricks, too???

...and how about those people in the dirt?

But, most of all, I'm glad that though you're really old, you really know your history....fifteen minutes on the mural! Wow!

chirky said...

Favorites:
1. “I also thought putting all the Texas Heroes in one hall was clever.” – Katie
2. “The Great Seal was almost awe-inspiring.” – Isla
3. “If I didn’t know that Sam Houston was dead, I would have thought that you were him.” – Ali

Lia said...

Yay - I now know where to come for entertainment when I have more time. I couldn't read them all, but the ones I got to were grrrr8!

Can't wait to be bored sometime soon. Also so I can come back and read these.

Deals On Wheels said...

Jes: Those were some of favorites, too. I especially love the ones that said:

There were a lot of things I already knew. But thanks for sharing.”

"Thank you for putting up with us when we were so loud at the bathroom."

"You may be old but you sure know a lot about your history."


Lia: Your comment sounded like one of the kids with the whole, "Can't wait to be bored sometime soon" comment. Reminded a lot of:

"I’m thankful you were patient with us. You also put up with us even when we were bored,”

and

Although we weren’t able to sit down while receiving so much information, I think that everyone still had a super, super, super time!”


Grammy Pammy: Actually the 15 minute mural thing probably was me. I give one of the shortest tours of the two murals. A couple of my docents are in there for half an hour to forty-five minutes! So, that kid was LUCKY!

Katie said...

PICTURES

PICTURES

PICTURES

PICTURES

PICTURES

Katie said...

and your a docent? I thought only small cute older ladies with white hair and LOTS of time ont their hands were allowed to be docents? Nobody told me spunky almost-amazonian younger than me gals could aspire to such a state of being?

Deals On Wheels said...

Katie: I only have to be a docent if one of my docents has to cancel or something. But, yes, most of my docents are older, retired ladies (most of them used to be teachers). I even have one guy. He's older, too, but still working as a CPA. I can't use him during tax season, but other than that I have him giving tours all the time!

So, uh, I can always use more docents...interested?!