Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Alas! and alone...

Friday was RR's last day at the museum. She's going back to school, and - consequently - can no longer be my coworker (whimper, whimper).

Part of me is really excited for her. I know she's wanted to go back for awhile now, but put it off until her sister was done with law school. I'm happy that RR's finally doing something she wants to be doing - something she's really enthusiastic about. She deserves it.

The other part of me (the selfish side) is sad that she's gone. It isn't easy to convince RR to hang out outside of work, and it's almost impossible to get her to commit to anything planned in advance. Then (making matters worse), the twins are moving to the mid-cities (i.e. New Mexico), which means RR will no longer be available for things like:

1. Tennis

2. Bike riding

3. Nonsensical conversations

4. Lunch

5. Dealing with the toilet 'o' perpetual flush

6. Caffeine breaks

7. Going on work-related field trips

8. Going to work-related conferences, etc.

Plus, RR and her sister are really close (they share a bladder, an apartment, two cats and a calendar), and - outside of JLR and graduate school - I'm not sure RR will have any time to, say, drive to Dallas and play with Gypsy Kitty visit me.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that I'm grumpy and I miss my friend. Work isn't nearly as entertaining without her. Sigh.

For the time being, I think I will imagine that she's only away on extended vacation - just like Fred (my other coworker that left at the end of June).

(RR - who is randomly going to put money in my egg, now?!)

6 comments:

Tim Rice said...

My sympathies. It is tough when good friends move away or are significant miles apart for a long time.

Amstaff Mom said...

Awww, Deals. I too am sad that RR left you. Sniff. Wait, is New Mexico to Oklahoma than Texas?

I guess that was my last visit to their old apt. I need to see the new one sometime!

Deals On Wheels said...

Riiiiiight...so RR is moving from Dallas to Arlington (like Texas, not Virginia). It is just west of where I am, hence the whole New Mexico thing.

Same concept as AM living in Oklahoma and Katie living in Nebraska.

Deals On Wheels said...

It is still far, far away though. Traffic on I-30 sucks.

chirky said...

She's going back! She's going back!

I'm both excited for her and, like you, sad not to see her.

Then again, I haven't seen either of them in such a long time, that I'm not sure what I'm complaining about.

I'm just the Looo-hhhooooooser friend sitting over here twiddling my thumbs.

Maybe I'll at least track them down at the annual Harold's sale.

Deals On Wheels said...

Or we could go out in search of JLR and RR (a.k.a. "stalk them"). Then, when they are least expecting it, we could twin-nap the two and bring them back to Dallas where they belong.