Thursday, August 17, 2006

Coffee breaks...

So, since RR left the museum, my morning coffee routine has been interrupted. Now, I don’t consume coffee every morning or anything like that, but several times a week a caffeine jolt is more than necessary to keep me from drooling/falling asleep at my desk. However, now that RR is gone, it is difficult to find anyone that:

A) Wants coffee…
B) Hasn’t already stopped by Starbucks on their way into the office…
C) I necessarily want to have coffee with…

There have been two occasions where my boss, my boss’s secretary, the Marketing Director and I have been standing in the Board Room with the light either off or on “very dim” (as so to not hurt our sleepy eyes) waiting – in awkward silence – for the coffee to brew. It was like we were all statues – kinda like the ones on Easter Island, but inside and facing one another in the dark (as opposed to outdoors, in the harsh South Pacific sun, looking out at the ocean). Since no one had anything that they could think of to say (my boss, to compensate for the silence, kept nervously clearing his throat), we all just…stood there.

That was about the time the Vonage song (from the commercial) popped into my head, and all I could think of was, “woo hoo, woo hoo hoo, woo hoo, woo hoo hoo...” Talk about an annoying earworm (or is it “bagworm”?). It was all I could do to keep from humming/whistling it aloud.

Maybe I should start drinking tea again…

10 comments:

Katie said...

true, but then you wouldn't have this funny story to share with us

Amstaff Mom said...

Come back. Tea is the way to go. I'm only a coffee drinker when nothing else is available.

Heather said...

Agreed - tea is awesome! I am on green tea with mint at the moment. Highly recommended!

Clayton Littlejohn said...

Tea is for traitors!

Sorry, that was a bit dramatic but just remember that when the world turns its back on you, coffee has always been there. Now that your world has turned its back on coffee, don't you think that you have a duty to stand by it? Come in and have a coffee sometime.

Also, what happened to the lazy gnome's page?

Deals On Wheels said...

Katie: Glad that I can keep you entertained and smiling. :D

AM: Plus, the tea I like always gave me those “inspirational quotations” on the end of the tea bag string. An antioxidant boost and an uplifting saying all in one…

Not Peaches: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Clayton: Agreed. Coffee has never turned its back on me (neither has tea, but that is another matter). I should do more to embrace the caffeinated goodness.

Are you still making the coffee? I thought it was just a summer gig? Since school started yesterday, I thought your coffee-making days were over (especially since your classes all start at, like 8 AM or something ridiculous). Gachet is not that far from where I live, though. Maybe I'll stop in one day (I'd much prefer to drink coffee anywhere BUT the museum board room with my throat-clearing boss and oh-so silent coworkers).

Deals On Wheels said...

Oh, and I don't know about the Gnome's site. I'll let her know her "public" requests an update!

Unknown said...

All I can say is... Thanks alot. Now it's totally stuck in MY head! :P

The Runt said...

What happened to my page? I updated it, BIATCH! Now everyone MUST go read it!

RR said...

Just this morning, I was telling JLR that I miss calling you in the morning and asking desperately, "Is there coffee yet?"

Tim Rice said...

I'll take hot chocolate over coffee or tea anyday; although I must admit I rarely drink anything other than water. The smell of coffee just pushes me away from it. ;)