Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Newsflash: I am NOT a man...

This afternoon, a woman called me at the office. The conversation went something like this:

Me: “Education. This is [Deals].”

Woman: “Excuse me?”

Me: “Uhmmm…education? This is [Deals].”

Woman: “Well, can I speak to [Deals]?”

Me: “Yeah, uhmmm, this is [Deals].”

Woman: “Oh.”

[Long Pause]

Me: “So, uh, how can I help you?”

Woman: “Well, it’s just that I thought you were a man.”

Me: “Oh?”

Woman: “Yeah. A middle-aged man.”

Me: “Uh...Okay?”

Woman: “And, well, I thought we had a…gosh, this is so embarrassing…a special connection.”

Me: “A special connection?”

Woman: “You know, in our email correspondence over the past couple of days.”

Me: “Really? Huh. What were we talking about?”

Woman: “The message board.”

Me: “The message board? You mean the [museum’s] message board?”

Woman: “Yeah.”

Me: “Really? A special connection from that?”

Woman: “Yeah. You were just so friendly and helpful, and took the time to explain why the board crashed last week to me and all. I dunno’. I guess I just felt a real connection to you. You really made me feel special.”

Me: “Oh.”

Woman: “That’s why I asked for your number at the office. I thought I’d call and, you know…hubba-hubba.”

Me: “Oh. Right.”

Woman: “But now you’re a woman.”

Me: “Uhmmm, yeah. Sorry about that. I didn’t mean to…well…you know.”

Woman: “Its okay. How could you have known?”

Me: “Exactly. I was just responding to your email. That’s all.”

Woman: “True. However, you really should do something about your name. It’s misleading.”

Me: “Oh? I guess I never really thought of it that way. Granted, my name doesn’t really have a gender associated with it. It’s never been a real problem, though. Not that it’s a problem now, mind you. It’s just that…well, you know. No one’s ever called the office and been upset that I wasn’t a man before. I'm not really sure how to react.”

Woman: “Maybe if you put ‘Ms.’ in front of [Deals] in your emails. That might help.”

Me: “Uhmmm, yeah. I’ll, uh, definitely consider doing that in the future.”

Woman: “You can’t honestly tell me that no one’s ever had this problem with your name in the past?”

Me: “People have referred to me as ‘Mr.’ in emails before, yes. It’s never been all that big of a deal, though. That is, until now.”

Woman: “Well, I’d do something about it if I were you.”

Me: “Yes, Ma’am. Of course. I’m so sorry about the confusion.”

Woman: “Of course you are. [Awkward Silence] Well, enough about that. Where were we?”

Me: “I dunno’. The message board?”

Woman: “Oh, right. The message board….”

That’s right. I just apologized for:

1) My name.
2) Not being a man. A MIDDLE-AGED man.
3) Discussing the status of the museum’s message board in a purely factual email (I’m sorry, what?!).

Stunned. I’m absolutely stunned. I’d say more, but I can’t. This conversation has left me speechless.

You all know I’m a woman, right?
(Because I am. Really.)

8 comments:

Denise said...

Wow. I've had some bizarre conversations with people when I was at work before, but yours takes the cake. This woman was totally trying to pick you up! Or she would have, anyway. Very weird. Don't worry - the problem in that conversation was all on her end.

Heather said...

Simply amazing. Nice job leading her on, Deals ;)

Anonymous said...

"I trowe he were a geldyng or a mare"

I'm with Chaucer...I can't tell if you're a nut-less guy or a gal, Deals

Anonymous said...

...in either case, I still love you DD

Deals On Wheels said...

Turd: Oh. Ha. Ha.

Lia said...

Wow! What incredible customer service. You were even nice to her on the phone!

Of course you realize now that I'm curious as to what your name is. Care to share? Don't worry, though. I know you're a woman.

Amstaff Mom said...

Awwww, poor Deals. You were more than gracious to the Psycho Woman. No apologies needed.

I like your name. You know I'm one of many, so I envy your uniqueness.

Very cool.

Katie said...

Ok that made me laugh out loud. The assumption on her part, your "special connection", making her feel special with your explanation, and the just the akwardness that permeated this entire thing.

Oh Deals (the feminine version that is) you made my day.