Saturday, October 02, 2010

I guess you get what you pay for...

I just bought my intern a tiny tube of lip balm at the State Fair of Texas. She's been complaining that her lips have been chapped since she arrived early, early this morning, and I figured it was the least I could do since I am essentially holding her captive for twelve hours and requiring her to help out with all the TX/OU insanity. Surely a 21 year old college senior has better things to do on a Saturday than help police a museum exhibit filled with drunken college football fans, right? Plus, I could tell my intern was becoming desperate, and I was worried she might try to bum carmex off some random fair goer.

(Shudder)

Anyway, with my $3 chapstick purchase over at the Embarcadero, I got a free bar of soap. Soap, I was told by the lady behind the counter, that needed to stay "hard and dry" at all times. I was also instructed never to take it into the bathroom because it might melt.

What kind of soap can't get wet or go into a bathroom? At first I thought I had heard the sales lady wrong. Until I turned and saw my coworker looking just as dumbfounded as I was. We even asked for clarification. Twice. Apparently nothing was wrong with our ears or level of comprehension. The soap really is that kind of useless.

Just goes to show that you can't get any quality freebies any more.

No comments: