Monday, April 18, 2011

More on the Woo...


As of this afternoon, the bandage is off, but replaced with this nonsense. Poor Gypsy has to wear it until the stitches and tube come out of her ear in 2.5 weeks. So far not fitting through the doggie door has been the biggest adjustment. Well, that and Trevor calling her his little pansy.

Sigh...

Speaking of the bandage, it came off last night. This sent both Trevor and me into a mild panic, because the post surgery notes clearly stated that the stitches and tube should stay covered to ward off infection. So, at 9:30 last night, I drove to the store and bought $30 worth of gauze, medical wrap and tape. If only I had known that the bandage was coming off today anyway, I could have saved myself a lot of stress and agony. This was one of several attempts at rewrapping the wound:


None of our (many) attempts lasted very long. All it took was Gypsy standing up and shaking her head.

After many tears (mine) and an attempt by Trevor to tell me it wasn't that big of a deal (which landed him on the couch for the night), I literately bandaged Gypsy's ear and then - using about $10 worth of medical tape - tied it down to her head. She looked like a mummy. Tragically, I don't have a picture of this (I was at my wits end), but the good news is that it lasted all night before coming lose. By then, the vet was open, Gypsy had an appointment and I couldn't get her there fast enough.

Thank goodness the bandage is gone for good. Trying to keep gauze on a dog's ear is an exercise in futility. I feel all stressed and bothered just thinking about it.

(Shudder)

1 comment:

JLR said...

You poor thing! And poor Whippy Woo (RR just said the same thing). I feel bad for both of you. I would have done the exact same thing.