Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Between Babies: I didn't realize that I've been hoarding these...

Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 13:22:35 -0600
Subject: Re: What's Christmas
From: Nathan
To: Banner


Hi Banner,

I had a great Christmas, too. I had to endure another couple of long car rides for it, though. I tried taking a nap like you did at Thanksgiving, but when I woke up, I was still in the car. I guess I just haven't figured out the nap transporting magic yet. But, anyway, I think the best part of Christmas was all of the presents under the Christmas trees that were wrapped in paper. I got a lot of those and there was TONS of paper to tear and then try to eat. Santa brought me blocks and books that make my dad talk with funny voices when he reads them to me. Oh, and I also got a BIG and TALL chair. I get to sit in it and play with my toys while Mom and Dad eat. I like to because I can keep a closer eye on them that way. Of course, my dad is also trying to feed me this stuff he calls vegetables while I sit in it. I don't think he understands that my chair is for playing.

I have been trying so hard to get these stinking teeth to come out, Banner. I chew on everything I can get my hands on (and sometimes I even chew on my hands) and I even try grunting while I chew, but that hasn't helped either. The other day, I got a few good gnaws on Daddy's nose. I don't know if I want this to go on forever. Does it get any easier?

Hey, Banner, is it possible that I am done with daycare? I haven't been there in over a week, and Mommy and Daddy have been staying home so maybe they are done with going to work, too. It's been nice staying at home. I don't get to play with my friends but I do get to play with my dog. My parents are trying to teach me to pet him, apparently pulling the dogs hair isn't acceptable behavior. Who knew?

I don't know anything about black eyed peas for the new year (Is that anything like the regular peas you told me about?) but I did hear that something big is supposed to happen at midnight tonight. I am curious about what that might be, so I have been sleeping all morning so that I can stay up until midnight to see what happens. I can't wait to find out what it is.

Happy New Year, Banner.

Nathan


Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 13:15:03 -0600
Subject: Happy Birthday Banner!!!
From: Nathan
To: Banner


Dude, if I lived in the same city as you, I would so cut you a slice of super-frosted chocolate cake... even though my Mom says I can't have any cake yet. Give your Mom lots of extra big hugs today.

Nathan

(Still the littlest baby in the infant room)


From: Banner
To: Nathan
Subject: RE: Happy Birthday Banner!!!
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 16:08:21 -0600


Hi, Nathan –

Sorry I’ve been out of touch.  My mom got something called “The Flu”, and was quarantined for the better part of last week.  I wasn’t able to give her hugs or anything.  Everyone was worried she’d give me The Flu, but they obviously don’t know her because I can’t even get her to share her crackers most of the time.  Anyway, I didn’t see my mom for days except sometimes briefly when she’d emerge from bed to grab a drink or snack, but she’d never stay or pick me up – no matter how long or loud I cried for her.  I was worried she didn’t love me anymore.  But, finally, The Flu went away and daddy let me see her again.  Now I’ve learned how to hold on extra special tight around her neck, so it is hard for her to put me down.  This is especially useful at 2 AM when I wake up screaming because I’m getting something called my “molars”, and I don’t want to mom to put me back down in my crib.  Mom says I’m too strong for my own good.  Whatever that means.

The teething thing really sucks, man.  Especially, this whole “molar” thing.  I can’t remember a time when my gums didn’t hurt.  The only bright side is that it is making it easier for me to chew some things.  Except, recently, it has hurt so much that I don’t even want to do that, so I’ve been eating cereal and purees again even though mom wants to phase them out.  Purees and cereal aren’t as much fun as big boy food, but it doesn’t hurt so bad to eat them.  Mom was worried I was regressing, but the doctor wasn’t concerned about it once he saw how swollen my gums were.  He said I’ll start wanting big boy food again once the molars break through.  We’ll see, doc.  We’ll see. 

Speaking of that doctor dude, I thought he was a really good guy until he told the nurse to stick me with needles again.  I had FOUR shots in my legs on Monday, and a toe prick.  The thing is that I haven’t felt well since.  Yesterday, I woke up shivering all over, but all mom and dad could talk about was how hot I was.  Obviously, they were insane because I felt like I was freezing.  I hope I get better soon, though, because I miss all my friends at school.  I’ve barely seen them at all in the last several weeks!  I was hoping I’d get to see them tomorrow, but I overheard my mom talking to grandma this morning about coming over to stay with me in the morning.  Something about how I couldn’t go back to school until some guy named “Fever” was gone for 24 hours.  I need to find this Fever guy and kick him out or I’ll be cooped up inside at home forever.  I have things to do!

I did have my first birthday party, though, and it was awesome.  Not only did I get a bunch of presents just like on Christmas, but I also got to eat cake.  It was so good!  I’d send you a piece, but mom ate a lot of the icing when dad wasn’t looking.  So now my cake looks like a pathetic naked brownie.  It still tastes good, but it was so much better with the icing on top. 

I think my favorite part of the birthday party was all the people.  There were people everywhere and they all came to see and play with me.  I’ve never had such a good time!  And there were balloons, too!  I’m not sure what balloons are exactly, but gravity doesn’t work on them at all.  If you throw them, they go UP not down.  My mind is officially blown.

Peace out,
Banner


Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 15:29:30 -0600
Subject: Re: Happy Birthday Banner!!!
From: Nathan
To: Banner

Hi Banner,

That flu thing sounds AWFUL. I sure hope my mom and dad don't get it. I can't imagine not being allowed to see one of them for days. I have a hard enough time being home with my dad when my mom is working late, which is something she started doing again. I was so upset about it, that I cried the whole time she was gone. When we picked her up and took her home, she played with me and then put me to bed. But, I woke up thinking about it and started crying again. Ever since then, I have to keep waking up to make sure that my mom is still there and that she will feed me. Dad tries to give me bottles, but I do not like that. He just doesn't get them right.

I don't understand why the doctor lets those mean nurses give us so many shots. I had that "Fever" guy after my last shots, too, I was miserable. I hope that you are feeling better by now. My mom, dad and I have been doing something called "trading" colds for the last week. It's been fun, and my dad sounds like that Barry White fellow again. Well, except I won't be fun when it's my turn to get the cold again, I don't like being sick. I also don't like these Kleenex things mom is always wiping my face with. Geez, Mom, leave me alone.

Oh, I have two big things I have been wanting to tell you about. First, I am finally not the littlest one in my room at daycare now. There's a little girl named Zoey who started this week, she's five months old, and can't sit yet, so I'm finally ahead of someone. Oh, but my friend Case moved up to the next room. So, it's just me and Tanner now in the boys club.

The other thing is that when this "new year" happened, my parents were talking about something called resolutions. It sounded like a good idea to me, so I made a resolution to get teeth. And, wouldn't you know it, in less than a week I had two! I assume that really isn't enough to be finished with teething. I am sorry to hear about these molars, too. That does not sound like fun. A funny thing happened when I got my teeth, though. I used to always be able to gnaw on my dad's fingers, but now whenever I bite them he says "ouch." I wonder if "ouch" is another word for bite or something. Anyway, it sounds funny, so I try to bite him all the time just to get him to say "ouch."

I am glad that you had a super fantastic birthday party. I have never seen a balloon but I'm really curious now. I've never seen anything fall up before. Maybe if I get a birthday party some day there will be balloons. Don't worry about not sending me a piece of cake, my mom probably wouldn't let me eat it, anyway. I've had lots of vegetables, and most of them were okay, but green beans are BAD. Yuck. I think mom said something called meat is on the menu next. Is that any good?

I'll talk to you later, Banner.

Nathan


From: Banner
To: Nathan
Subject: RE: Happy Birthday Banner!!!
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 23:04:10 +0000


Hi, Nathan –

My mom used to be a vegetarian.  I don’t know what that is exactly, but dad made it sound like all she did all day was eat gross things like vegetables.  I hope my mom doesn’t come down with vegetarian again, because I’d have to move out.  Meat is like the best stuff in the world – but only in pureed form.  Mom tried to get me to eat something he called “chicken” the other day, and that stuff was nasty.  Nothing should have to be chewed for that long!  But the meat in the jar is fantastic.  Oh, and something else called “tofu” that mom got me at the sushi restaurant last week.  Not sure if that is meat or not, but yum, yum!

I am glad that you are no longer the littlest in your class!  Congratulations!  I’m the only kid in the toddler room right now that can’t walk, but I’ve been practicing.  Last weekend I made it up to eight steps in a row, and more than doubled my personal best this weekend with SEVENTEEN!  I think I’d would have had even higher numbers if I hadn’t gotten caught that guy “Fever” again.  I even ended up in something called a “hospital” a couple of weeks ago because of him.  Which:  If you ever want to completely freak your parents out, you gotta go to the hospital, my friend.  It was awesome.  Mom and dad held me ALL the time.  I was the center of attention.  They didn’t go to work or leave me at all – not even when I slept.  Plus, they had all sorts of cool toys and machines at the hospital that went “beep!”, and lots of nice people stopping by to say “Hello” all the time.  It was fabulous.  

(Well, except for the needles.  But I was really sleepy when they stung my arm, so I barely remember it.)

Anyway, I thought I was done with that “Fever” guy after the hospital, but, wouldn’t you know, he showed back up AGAIN with his buddy “Double Ear Infection” on Friday.  The worst is that the medicine they gave me at the doctor’s office makes my tummy angry. I keep trying to remind myself to spit it out next time, but it tastes like cherries.  I like cherries.

In other news, mom and dad keep trying to pull a fast one on me and put milk in my sippy cups.  I mostly don’t mind it during the day, but I don’t want anything but my regular formula first thing in the morning.  And I want it in my bottle, too.  I don’t know why mom and dad hardly ever give me a bottle anymore.  Those sippy cup things are great, but I think my parents are trying to do away with my bottles altogether!  I’ve also overheard them talking about GETTING RID of my binkies!  I think me and the ‘rents are going to have to have a conversation about all this nonsense.  They’ve gone mental.  If they want to sleep at night, they best keep my binkies coming!

Honestly, what are they thinking?

But back to food…you gotta’ watch out for something called “sticky rice”.  IT STICKS TO YOUR HANDS!  I hate it.  I got some on my fingers and couldn’t get it off.  Not even after I shook them over and over.  It was awful, and my mom and grandma just sat there watching me freak out AND LAUGHED. 

It also sometimes happens if you let the dog lick your hand before picking up puffs or cheerios.  It totally makes me panic.  Mom says it serves me right for letting the dog lick my hand before eating.  I’m not sure when she became so unsupportive.  I need to talk to dad about her behavior, and file a formal complaint.  Sticky stuff is no joking matter.  She needs to take it seriously.

Peace out,
Banner


Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 09:12:05 -0600
Subject: Re: Happy Birthday Banner!!!
From: Nathan
To: Banner


Hi Banner,

Oh my goodness, I didn't know you went to a hospital. I am glad that you enjoyed your celebrity status. I asked my Mom about going to the hospital and she said you only go there if you are really sick, so I hope that you didn't feel too bad. It was nice of your Mom and Dad to hold you the whole time. I think I would want to be held all of the time if I felt bad enough for a hospital. Well, I really like to be held all of the time even when I'm not sick. Sometimes when I am the last one to go home at daycare they hold me until my mom and dad come. Even though it means waiting longer to see my mom and dad, it is good.

I have to say that I'm not too impressed with the meat from a jar. It is pretty good when my mom mixes it with something yummy like sweet potatoes, but when Dad gives it to me by itself, he says I make the same "yucky face" that my mom sometimes makes when she takes a bite of something she'd rather not be eating. Dad said it's okay, though, because the really good meat is something called "bacon." I guess that they don't make bacon in a jar, or surely my dad would have bought it for me by now, so I guess I just have to wait until I'm old enough to eat big boy food.

Whoa, Banner! Do you mean that you are supposed to drink something out of a sippy cup? My mom and dad have been giving me one, but I thought it was just to chew on. My mom always tells me it is something called "water" but I thought that was the name of the cup. I am going to have to figure out how to get this water stuff out of that cup. Is water any good? Oh, and I think the best way that you can keep getting your formula in your bottles is to throw the sippy cup on the floor whenever they give it to you. I have found that dropping my toys on the floor makes them disappear for quite a while. Even when I can see them, my mom will not give them back to me until after they are washed. Sometimes it takes days for my toys to be washed. Thanks for warning me about sticky food, though. My dog really only licks my face right now, but maybe that is why all of my food stays on my chin after dad feeds me. What do you think?

I am sorry that the girls in the toddler room are giving you so much trouble. My parents have talks about how they are going through their parent initiation with me. I am not sure what that means, but I think it has something to do with the fact that they are new at being parents and so they have to catch up. Maybe the girls are just helping you with your initiation in the toddler room. On the other hand, it may not be such a bad idea to work on building up those muscles. I have been trying to build up my muscles by doing something that Mommy calls "push ups." Push ups are hard work, too. I usually do a few of those when mom puts me in my bed and they make me so tired that I fall asleep. If the push ups aren't enough, then maybe you could talk to your dad about joining him at the gym.

I am very impressed by how many steps you can take. Tanner is standing up and taking steps while holding on to the cribs at daycare, but he's no where near that good. Most of my friends at daycare mostly get around by "crawling." Well, Zoey isn't, but she is sitting pretty well now and that was the one thing I had on her. I feel like I am so behind. I decided that I have to find a way to get around a room. Last week, I figured out that after I roll over, I don't have to stop; I can keep going! Who knew? I even made it most of the way across the living room last weekend. But this crawling thing is beyond me. I have been watching my friends at school, and it seems that they throw themselves forward with their hands on the ground and they just keep going. I've been trying it, but I just can't seem to reach far enough to get very far. I used to be happy sitting in one place, but there's too many things that are just beyond my reach. At least I know how to roll over better. But, if you can give me any tips on how to make this crawling thing happen, I would really appreciate it.

Take care, Banner. Oh, and I hope you are done taking that cherry medicine that was making your tummy angry.

Nathan


From: Banner
To: Nathan
Subject: Waz up?!
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 15:08:23 -0600


Yo, Nathan –

I’ve never heard of this bacon stuff, but I mentioned it to one of my dogs the other day and he started to drool. It must be some good stuff! I’ll have to talk to my dad about getting some. I’d ask mom, but I have a funny feeling she’d give me a piece of celery and just tell me it was bacon. She’s tricky that way.

I’ve been working on trying not to be sick lately. It isn’t really working but I’m doing my best because I overheard mom and dad talking about something called “tubes”. Apparently, if I get one more ear infection the doctor is going to put these tube thingys in my ears! I’m really starting to dislike this doctor guy. Mom sounded really worried, so I’m pretty sure that tubes are something awful like toothbrushes. Which, WHY do my parents insist on brushing my teeth every night before bed? Do they have nothing better to do than torture me? At least when they used the finger toothbrush, I could bite them (it was kind of fun actually), but now they have a brush on a stem. I see it coming and get mad, but they just shove it in my mouth regardless of how I feel about it.

Parents can be such jerks sometimes.

My mom also used to wash everything when it fell on the floor, but she gave up right around the time I discovered the wonders of gravity. Now she just hands everything back to me as long as we aren’t some place called “public”. Mom has also given up trying to keep the dogs from licking me. This has made meal time much more productive since I’m not constantly having to go and wash my hands every two seconds because I shared my biscuit again with Haskell. Dad says all this is building my immunity. He has really gotten mom to calm down a lot lately, which is really nice. On Saturday, she caught me eating dirt out of a pot in the backyard, and she just sighed and told dad to “deal with it”.

On a side note: dirt tastes awesome. I highly recommend it. Much, much better than that pureed kale that my mom tried to shove down my throat last week.

Cheers,
B-Man

P.S. It took me four or five months to figure out the whole crawling thing. I did the army crawl thing forever and mom thought I’d never crawl like a real baby. But then one day, back in November, I did. It just happened. So, don’t worry. You will figure it out. Until then, roll with the best of them, my pal!

No comments: