Friday, February 27, 2015

On having a three year old...


Someone asked me recently why three is so much more...ahem..."interesting" than two was.  After all, they asked, isn't it the "Terrible Twos"?

And, yes, two does have its own unique challenges.  But I think most of them stem from not being able to communicate very well.  By three, these little people are armed with a vocab arsenal and a giant bucket of sass and preposterous "I do it myself" attitude.

But my favorite go-to example that sums up three (at least for me) is as follows:

Three is...throwing a fit because you want someone to help you zip up your jacket, and then throwing an even BIGGER fit after they do because you "want to do it" yourself.  But, because you are three, you know how to UNZIP your jacket (take that, MOM!).  Which, unfortunately for everyone involved, now means your jacket is now unzipped again and OMG, YOU NEED HELP RIGHT NOW because all zippers MUST BE ZIPPED!  But, for the love of God, don't help because...well, we have already covered that.

Oh, and just to clarify?  The jacket can easily be substituted for ANYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE (and some things you can't).  I'd advise you to pick your battles, but - really - there is no point.  There is no right answer.  There is no winning.  The only consolation for a parent of a three year old is that you can still pick them up (sometimes kicking and screaming) and carry them wherever you need them to go.

But, don't worry, there is good news!  Three year olds say the most hysterical things.  Granted, a lot of it is completely 100% irrational, but - if you are like me - that only makes it better. 

(I try so hard not to laugh, but sometimes I just can't help it.)

(Mom of the year, I know.)

No comments: