Thursday, February 23, 2006

"Deep Thoughts," by Deals...

Last weekend it was cold.

Not, like, Minnesota cold or anything, but Texas cold (in other words, it was in the upper 20s - temperatures that, according to local TV weather people, constituted a WINTER BLAST).

So, I guess, last weekend would best be described as being...well...rather chilly.

It was, however, cold enough that you could see your breath when you exhaled.

Back when I was in college in upstate New York, I lived in an apartment that was about 4 or 5 blocks from campus. Getting to and from campus, although the walk wasn't really all that far, could be absolutely miserable at times. It was the kind of cold that physically hurt. Exposed skin stung, and the very act of breathing could cause your nose hairs to freeze (which, might I add, makes it feel like you have boogers coming out of your nostrils. Not pleasant AT ALL).

Not surprisingly, when it was that kind of cold, I hated the walk to and from class. Dreaded it, actually. I'd get all bundled up (so that only my eyes were exposed), put my head into the wind and snow, and literately marched myself to campus. Yes, it was a march. It was icy, so running wasn't an option (plus, the cold air would make my lungs ache). My only recourse was to walk quickly, with a purpose.

On these daily marches to and from class, I would try not to think about how cold it was outside (or how I was slowly freezing to death on the inside). Instead, I would try to distract myself by thinking of other, more trivial, things.

One day, while I was walking home, I got to thinking about how I could still see my breath - even though my mouth was covered up by multiple layers of mask, scarf and ski jacket. I started to imagine that I was a little steam engine, chugging home (toot-toot). This thought, lead me DIRECTLY to the subject of farts (or "toots", if you prefer), which is when the following suddenly occurred to me:

"If I can see my breath, even though my mouth is covered up by multiple layers of clothing - what would happen if I passed gas on a cold day, like today? Would I be able to see that, too?"

This very thought made me stop short. I started to worry about all of those times that I had farted walking around outside on days like that one. Now, I'm not crude or anything, but sometimes - when you are walking by yourself and no one else is around - the need arises, you know? I'm not, like, letting one rip in public or anything like that, but sometimes it is possible to...kind of...let one seep out kind of...discreetly.

Anyway, what if every time I had done that a little puff had been visible from behind? How horrible would that be!

I was suddenly mortified...how many people had SEEN me fart?! And, more importantly, WHY HAD NO ONE TOLD ME?!

I was so embarrassed, until it occurred to me that maybe no one could see it if I passed gas outside when it was cold. Maybe farting was different than breathing?

But I needed to know. I needed to know for sure.

There could be no question about this. No doubt. No nothing.

So, over the course of the next several weeks, I would try to pass gas on my way to campus when no one else was around to...you know...SEE it. Then, I'd do a quick 180 to see if I could make out the puff still lingering in the air.

For about a week, I was completely convinced that you could see my farts when it was cold. That was, at least, until I realized that I was just seeing my breath. It hadn't occurred to me to stop breathing during my...experiments.

So, I had to spend the next week retesting. And, tragically, the results were inconclusive.

I tried again the following week, and the results were the same. Sometimes I thought I could see a puff and other times I wasn't so sure.

Frustrating. Very frustrating.

This whole process was getting me nowhere. I needed someone to help me - someone that could witness the process from behind, and let me know for sure.

Thus, I mustered up all of my courage, and asked my college roommate, C, if she'd...uh...help me solve a problem that I was having.

She said, "Sure," and asked what it was.

So, I told her.

And you know what she did?

She laughed at me!

C told me that no one could see a fart - no matter how cold it was.

Then, she laughed some more.

I thought a lot about what C said. I wanted to believe her, but *alas* I was still unsure. To this day, if it is cold outside, I worry about what I will do if I suddenly have the urge to...you know...toot.

*Sigh*

Sometimes it is hard being me.

12 comments:

Amstaff Mom said...

But that's why it's entertaining having a friend like you. We were missed in the blog world during your absence.

As much as my husband and his brothers talk about farting (and I mean ALOT),they have never mentioned this one before.

I'm sure they'd be impressed. (if that's any consolation to you)

Welcome Back!

Deals On Wheels said...

Hehe...thanks, AM! I'm always glad to hear that I've bested the boys on the subject of farting!!

Things have been hectic the past couple of weeks with work, lots of visiting school kids, preparing for the panel RR and I have to speak on next week, and the new foster puppy...craziness, I tell you!! Things should - theoretically - calm down by the second week in March, though.

BTW, I had a dream the other night that you and I were competing in a TIN MAN TRIATHLON in Hawaii (of all places) that, for whatever reason, was taking us three days to complete. I lost my bike and they wouldn’t rent me a new one because I couldn’t prove that my credit was good enough back in Texas to warrant the loan. So, you told me to give them my car keys temporarily in exchange for a bike. They lent me a bike, but it was an old 1960s model with a rusty chain and flat tires. Then, it started raining but I somehow managed to keep up with you on your bike (which was new and quite flashy). You turned to me and said, “Now you’ve got it! At this pace, we should cross the finish line by dinnertime tomorrow”. I remember thinking, “We won’t be done until TOMORROW?! What kind of stupid race is this? I thought we were only going, like, 32 or 33 miles – what’s taking us so long?”…and then I woke up.

So, yeah, that was kind of weird…

Greg said...

I don't think I have ever farted outside.

Katie said...

it may be hard being you but it is a pleasure being me when i get to read things like this

if we ever meet and it is a cold day I volunteer to help you with this experiment, I mean you hug people when you first meet them so why not poot around them too, but only for scientific purpose, if you just farted when we first met I would laugh though and probably not hold it against you, but only because I had read this story

Deals On Wheels said...

Ben: You should fart outside (although, I am not sure that I BELIEVE your statement about never farting outside before). You and your son would be the PERFECT candidates to finally find an answer to this age-old question. I mean, really...is it ever above freezing in Minnesota?!

Katie: HAHA! It's hard, but I do try not to "poot" when making someone's acquaintance for the first time. Smell is very closely tied to memory (or so I hear), and I'm not sure passing gas would be something that I'd want to be remembered by (or for). Thank you, though, for offering to accept me regardless!

Hula Dula: It fascinates me that this hasn't occurred to more people. But as RR assured me today, now it will...

Hehe!

Happy weekend, everyone!

gabe said...

I had the same question some time ago on a skitrip in Colorado (quite cold naturally). I discussed it with a friend of mine and he wasn't sure either. A short while later, I see him walking across the parking lot. Wordlessly, I knew we were conducting an experiment right then and there. He comes up to me and says, "Well?" The answer? Nope, didn't see a thing.

Amstaff Mom said...

OH MY GOSH. The Tin Man Triathalon??? Sadly, the fact that you could keep up with me on a 40 year old bike with flat tires and a rusty chain isn't too far from the truth.

Also that it would take me several days to complete 32 miles isn't far off either.

That is hilarious Deals!! HILARIOUS!

Lia said...

You're right, it must be hard to be you. That problem has never bothered me. Many other problems do, but never that particular one.

Lia said...

Get a job with the forest service.

Not that you asked me.

Aim Claim said...

Maybe your next challenge should be lighting one on fire.

Deals On Wheels said...

Ew.

I've never attempted to set one on fire, because I've always been afraid that I'd burn off my toosh.

J.B. - GET A JOB!

RR said...

J.B. - go to Oxford! You can get a job later. Actually, getting a job would undoubtedly be the most practical--and probably the most useful--choice, but Oxford just sounds cool, andohmygosh whokeepshonkingoutsidemywindow? Sorry. Got distracted there for a moment.