Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A Series of Unfortunate Events…

So, there is a lot of bad karma going around lately. Why? Yeah, no clue. It seems to be contagious, though, and I’m kind of convinced that my bad luck has now rubbed off on poor Trevor.

I’m not really sure when my bad luck began, but it was sometime last spring (you may remember THIS POST and THIS POST). Since then things haven’t improved, only gotten worse. A LOT worse.

I’ll spare you the complete run down of all the “oh-woe-is-me” moments that have transpired over the past couple of months. Instead, let me sum it up with the following:

- I was almost fired for something I didn't do.

- There are about a gazillion rumors going around about me at the office. None of them are true.

- I was selected to sit on jury for a two day criminal trial at a time when sitting on a jury could not have been more inconvenient.

- I came down with a nasty sinus infection.

- My garage door came off its track and almost fell on me and my car.

- Fire ants got into my electrical box AND ate the wood-siding surrounding it.

- My neighbors have made my dog neurotic (a story I will tell at a later date), and Gypsy Kitty is now eating – yes, EATING – the front door.

Then, to make matters worse, I had three consecutive days of 666. This is NEVER a warm fuzzy feeling. Worse still: it all started on the 6th day of July! Coincidence? I think not!

DAY ONE: I was holding my portable phone under my arm when it started beeping at me. This was weird because I frequently carry my portable phone around under my arm, and have never had it beep at me before. Alarmed, I removed said phone from my arm pit and was horrified to discover that it was flashing 666 at me.

DAY TWO: I went to Jamba Juice and ordered a smoothie for lunch. My total? $6.66!

DAY THREE: While driving to see a movie, we were passed by a large pick up truck. The first three letters of the license plate: 666!

All this 666 nonsense was extremely disconcerting, and I was kind of convinced that something really bad was (or possibly still is) about to happen. So. Not. Cool.

Now, all the bad luck seems to have been caught by Trevor (like the flu, but different). Last week ALONE Trevor was:

- Stuck in a pretty dramatic hail storm in North Dallas.

- Left stranded at the Movie Trading Company after his car broke down.

- Evicted from his apartment.

It is important to mention that Trevor was only evicted from his apartment because the owners are planning on remodeling the entire complex. He isn’t a bad tenant. He just has bad luck.

Anyway, last week I went to Home Depot, and opted for self checkout. After completing my purchase, I discovered two things:

1. The person before me had forgotten their change (almost $20).

2. Some one had left an envelope with about 25 $20 bills on top of the register.

I was ecstatic. Finally! A way to appease Karma! I immediately turned both the unclaimed change and envelope full of cash over to the employee supervising the self checkout area. I felt sure that this act would help turn my luck around. Unfortunately, though, not much has changed. Just yesterday I managed to cut myself pretty badly with a dull razor while shaving my legs. Le sigh. Maybe I’m cursed?

In other news, I’m trying to find comfort in the fact that others have also had a streak of bad luck recently. After all, misery loves company, right? Alas. Maybe there is some sort of astrological trigger behind it all? Not that I really buy into that kind of stuff or anything, but I haven’t spoken to a Leo lately that wasn’t having a bad day, month or year. Grrrr…

~ The End ~

7 comments:

JLR said...

um, I haven't had a good night's sleep in at least a month? I am so far behind at work that even my coworkers are starting to get nervous? My $100 flat iron (that I JUST bought) has stopped working, which I didn't discover until after I had blow-dried my hair and it looked like the hair on those girls in the garnier fructis commercials? I have a metallic taste in my mouth?

Yeah, I guess that's all pretty minor. I seem to be doing alright.

But these things just run in cycles. Hang in there!!

Anonymous said...

Which is exactly why we need to party once you get back--and celebrate surviving another year! It's been a doozy, hasn't it?

RR said...

Maybe going on vacation will be like pressing a "reset" button on your life. Once you get back, things will be better (and then after a while they might get bad again, but then you just take another vacation).

Lia said...

Luckily, I conclude, I'm not a Leo. I could regale you with stories of the frustrations in my life, but by now I'm starting to feel that it's just "the way things are".

I'm totally with RR on the benefits of vacation.

Amstaff Mom said...

I think I'm a Leo. Life's ok. Busy. But ok.

Hang in there Deals!!!!

Sorry for all your woes (and Trevor's too).

Anonymous said...

What did you do to my Trevor?

Man I hope it gets better for you. Things happen in 3's my mom always said, so maybe its over. Dude, glad you didn't lose your job.

~Jef

Anonymous said...

things are looking better:

1-no hail damage

2-have a new battery for car

3-have a new apartment

4-and best of all,leaving on a 2 week vacation in colorado with Deals.