Monday, March 01, 2010

The Phantom...

For Valentine's Day, Trevor bought me tickets to see The Phantom of the Opera. Our tickets were for last night, and the production was - in a word - AWESOME.

Of course, I've been a fan of The Phantom since I was a child. I had the entire musical memorized by age 10. I used to listen to the songs over and over and over again. I have always been captivated by the story, and would still - without a doubt - choose The Phantom over Raoul. A point which Trevor finds disconcerting. Something about The Phantom being a deformed, murdering psychopath. Whatever. The Phantom is just a little socially awkward, if you ask me. Hence the reason he lives in the sewer underneath the Paris opera house. He is a musical genius, and loves Christine with his whole being. Maybe - with today's advances in mental health - The Phantom could have gone to therapy, worked through some of his disfigurement and my-mommy-never-loved-me-enough-and-made-me-where-a-mask issues. If he had, I am sure he would have been able to express his love to Christine in the regular way (i.e. without all the death and kidnapping). Unfortunately, The Phantom of the Opera was born in a time before the invention of plastic surgery and social anxiety drugs, like Paxil.

Trevor just doesn't understand true love.

2 comments:

This is my life so far said...

My Mom and I went to see it a couple of weeks ago and it was amazing! We loved it, and I too love the music in it as well.

Singular Girl said...

Nice. I've always felt kind of sorry for the Phantom as well and had a bit of a thing for him, I think it's the 1920s movie that makes me think he's not as bad as everyone thinks, he just gets a bad rap for that murder stuff. I mean, who doesn't have homicidal tendencies deep down?