Thursday, May 10, 2012

Four Month Checkup...

It just about killed me, but I wasn't there to support Banner at his four month wellness checkup.  Because, well, I haven't been very "well" myself lately.  Came down with a fever on Tuesday, and have spent both today and yesterday in bed feeling lousy and missing my baby.  The pediatrician is convinced Banner (and/or daycare) gave it to me, but I am pretty sure feeling so completely rundown lately didn't help matters.  Maybe this is the universe's way of making me slow down?  If so, it totally chose the wrong week.  Phil Collins is visiting the museum on Saturday and Banner's baptism is Sunday.  I have a lot to prepare for, and very little is getting accomplished from my bedroom under covers nursing a fever just high enough to make me feel like complete ick:


But back to Banner: Regardless of the fact that I wasn't physically in the exam room yesterday, I still managed to cry about his getting shots.  He is such a happy guy.  It seems so cruel to have to stab his little thighs with needles - even if it is in his best interest.  Watching it back in March was the hardest thing - hands down - I've ever had to endure as a new mother.  I doubt it will ever get any easier to stand by and watch someone else cause my baby pain.  I tear up just thinking about it.  

Blissfully unaware of the shots that are in his very near future.

Anyway, since I was out of commission, Trevor stepped up and took Banner to the appointment.  Actually, he was planning to go regardless, because, after the two month visit, I told him there was no way he was going to expect me to do that on my own.  EVER.  Apparently, he realized that I was serious, because there never was any discussion about it.  He even admitted to crying "a little bit" when Banner got his shots.  Good to know it isn't any easier for daddies.


Wanting to be involved, however, I sent Trevor a list of my most pressing questions for the doctor. Mostly, I wanted confirmation from a medical professional that certain things (like Banner not pooping for days and then blowing his diaper off and the cough he has had more or less since he started daycare) were normal and to be expected.  I also wanted to make sure that Banner eating +/- 50 ounces of milk a day wasn't too much for the little guy.  Doc says it IS a lot, but Banner is growing fast and isn't chubby, so apparently the little guy needs the calories.  Or, as Uncle Adam would say, "He is Thor and Thor needs sustenance".

Eating the exam table paper...

Trevor said the doctor seemed mostly concerned about me and whether or not I was able to produce enough to keep up.  I am (most days), but it is difficult.  The pediatrician wanted me to know that it is okay to supplement with formula if necessary.  I am not quite ready for that, though.  Difficult as it is, I do get a lot of joy and satisfaction from knowing that he is growing and thriving because of the food my body is making for him.  Plus, I have the frozen milk supply, which is still taking up the majority of our freezer.  And thanks to his gaining weight like a champ, Banner has been given the green light to try a few select solids over the course of the next couple of months.  It won't be the bulk of his diet anytime soon, but it is the first step in that direction.

(Sniff.  My baby is growing up!)

Also, because I am so worried about accidentally injuring my child, I had Trevor reconfirm with the pediatrician for like the millionth time that it is okay for me to take regular strength Tylenol to lower my fever.  Because I'd much rather suffer than risk hurting the baby with my own breast milk.  I do hope whatever I have clears up soon, though, because it seems difficult to treat my symptoms without risking the baby or compromising my milk supply.  I swear, I could take more things while pregnant than I can now that I am nursing.  Breastfeeding (and mommyhood) comes with a certain level of martyrdom.  I really love being able to feed my own child, but I understand why so many women give up so quickly.  Breastfeeding isn't for weenies.  I'd love to make it a year, but - at the rate I am going - it will be amazing if I make it six months.  I am definitely not "mom enough" to still be going at it after nearly four years.

My only other major concern for the doctor involved Banner's laugh...or lack thereof.  It is really the only milestone he hasn't hit yet.  However, the pediatrician says he'd only be worried about it if Banner didn't seem to be engaged.  But he smiles, chuckles, coos and makes stellar eye contact, so it doesn't concern the doctor at all.  He will get around to it when he feels like it.  Babies all develop at different rates.
  
(Or maybe he IS laughing, but it is so high pitched that only dogs can hear it?)


In other news, Banner is 26 inches long (90%), 15.95 pounds (75%) and has a head circumference of 42.5 (50%).  Trevor has been saying for weeks that Banner has a big head, so I am happy to report that it is decidedly average.  It does seem like our little guy is shaping up to be nice and tall, though, just like his daddy.  It also explains why he is outgrowing his clothes in a blink of an eye and eating so much.  After all, he's grown almost half a foot in four months!  He is our little weed!


The shots did take their toll, and Banner started to get fussy and hot about five or six hours after they were administered.  And so, just like last time, baby Tylenol was administered.  He barely touched his 10 PM bottle, but slept until 6 AM like a champ regardless.  He is such a good baby.  Have I mentioned how truly lucky we are?  My heart could just burst!

No comments: