Thursday, July 25, 2013

An update on Oy! Oy! The Envoy!


My car was supposed to be ready on Saturday.  Then Monday.  Then Tuesday...maybe.  Then Thursday. 

And now?  It won't be ready until August 8th or 9th.

Why?

Because getting a new computer to control my brakes is easier said than done.  Because said computers are backordered.  Which, according to my service tech, really means that GMC isn't making them anymore and have no plans to start up again anytime soon.

(For the record, I'm pretty sure those things aren't the same, but who am I to argue at this point?)

So, the new plan is to send my existing (failed) brake computer in to be refurbished.  And, well, this might take awhile.

Trevor's concerned because he is not sure he trusts anything that has FAILED previously to be miraculously trustworthy after it has been "refurbished".  Kind of like the proverbial "Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me" school of thought.  But we aren't talking President Bush on Saddam Hussein here.  We are talking about a flipping computer chip.  I'm sure once it has had it's little mind erased and reloaded, it will be perfectly fine and reliable.

I mean, where would any of us be in life if second chances didn't exist? 

Right?  Right.

The good news is that - theoretically - a refurbished brake computer is much cheaper than a new one.  Especially since I already own the one that will be refurbished.  At least that is what they keep telling me. 

I'm just not sure I trust car people anymore.

No comments: