Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Getting the car "detailed"...

So, I'm talking to the NON DOMINANT TWIN (NDT) the other day...


ME: "I need to get my car detailed. It's been almost a year since I got it."

NDT: "Really?"

ME: "Yep."

[LONG PAUSE IN CONVERSATION. NDT CHEWS THOUGHTFULLY ON A GRAPE.]

NDT: "Detailed, huh?"

ME: "Yeah. Why?"

NDT: "Wait. What does 'detailed' mean to you?"

ME: "You know...detailed. Getting the car waxed, the rugs steamed cleaned, the leather seats conditioned..."

NDT: "[INTERRUPTING] Whew. Okay, good."

ME: "So, uh, what did you think I meant when I said the word 'detailed'?"

NDT: "Well, I thought you meant that you were going to pimp-out your car. You know...get the spinning hub-caps or install one of those things that makes your car bounce up and down. I was kind of worried. I was thinking that you didn't strike me as someone who would ride around in a bling car."

[CUT TO A FEW DAYS LATER...]

NDT: "So, how often are you supposed to get your car detailed?"

ME: "I dunno. I think they recommend that you do it every year or so."

NDT: "Why?"

ME: "I think it is because it is really good to get your car waxed once a year. I used to do it myself, and I was never any good at it. I always said that once I got a new car, I was going to have a professional do it. Whenever I did it myself there were all these little white spots on the car where I didn't get all the wax off. I figured my new car deserved better."

NDT: "I guess that makes sense. My dad always details his car when he is thinking about selling it or trading it in. I guess it is good maintenance."

[LONG PAUSE. NDT LOOKS UP AND NOTICES THAT I AM STARING AT HER.]

NDT: "What?"

ME: "Your dad details his cars?"

NDT: "Yeah. Why?"

ME: "Well, did he ever come home with a pimped-out ride?"

NDT: "Well, no."

ME: "I thought you said the other day that you didn't know what 'detailing' meant!"

NDT: "Well, I didn't. At least not really."

ME: "But your dad apparently does it quite often."

NDT: "Yeah, but I always thought that he was just going to get 'a really good car wash'."

4 comments:

JLR said...

RR just read that and told me that prior to speaking with you, she didn't know what it was called. He always just referred to it as getting a really good car wash.

I'm staying out of this because I already knew what detailing meant.

Lia said...

Sigh.

Katie said...

Laughing OUT LOUD

Deals On Wheels said...

What?! Twins don't share the same vocabulary? Surely, you jest!