Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The Runt...

So, the other day I am talking to THE RUNT (a.k.a. my vertically-challenged and very, very blonde little sister) and we have a conversation that goes something like this:

THE RUNT: "So, I have a date with this guy on Sunday."

ME: "Really. Is he cute?"

THE RUNT: "Yeah. I think so. He's a swimmer, and he's really tan."

ME: "Uh, okay. So, tan equals cute nowadays, huh?"

THE RUNT: "Well, sorta. He's not really tanned tan, but just tan. You understand, right?"

ME: "Uh, no."

THE RUNT: "What is it called when someone is naturally tan?"

ME: "Olive complected?"

THE RUNT: "No. More like Croatian."

ME: "Oh...okay."

THE RUNT: "Well, wait. What is "Croatian"?"

ME: "Someone from Croatia."

THE RUNT: "Where's that?"

ME: "Croatia."

THE RUNT: "Yeah, but where is that?"

ME: "The Eastern Block."

THE RUNT: "Okay. Nevermind. That's not it."

ME: "Why do you say that?"

THE RUNT: "Well, he isn't Indian or anything."

[LONG PAUSE]

ME: "Uh...so the Eastern Block isn't in India."

THE RUNT: [BLANK STARE]

ME: "It was part of the former Soviet Union."

THE RUNT: [BLANK STARE]

ME: "Essentially, Eastern Europe."

THE RUNT: "Oh, really?"

ME: "Yeah. Like the character, Luca, on ER."

[LONG PAUSE WHILE THE RUNT CONTEMPLATES THIS NEW INFORMATION]

THE RUNT: "Well, is he tan?"

4 comments:

Greg said...

Does she know Texas is in the US and not its own country? ;)

Deals On Wheels said...

Hmmmmm...one would hope, but then again she is, well, blonde.

Last night, after she read my entry, she kept insisting that tan-boy-who-may-or-may-not-be-Croatian is really a "dalmation". I always thought that a "dalmation" was a type of dog, but she is convinced that it is also a kind of person (possibly from Croatia).

I hope, for her sake, that there are "dalmations" out there (and I'm not talking about the ones with spots that ride on the back of firetrucks). Otherwise, I'll never let her live it down!

Greg said...

Hm.

Dalmation... A type of person? NEVER heard of that. I tried to google it and of course, I got a bunch of dogs... but no people referred to as dalmations.

I tried Dalmations and Croatia and this is the closest I could find:

http://www.worldrover.net/archive/0302isls/aDalmation.htm

So there is a Dalmation Island... Maybe this is what they refer to themselves as... So Maybe? Crazy. Who would have thought?

Deals On Wheels said...

Okay, the comment below is from my sister. She doesn't have a blog, so she (hehe) couldn't retaliate...I mean, comment. Anyway, here is what THE RUNT had to say:

"Oh PLEASE! Jacob confirmed that he IS a Dalmation. A Dalmation is from the Croation Coast. DUH! Who's blonde roots are showing NOW?!?"

Personally, I feel as though I have learned something very important about the Dalmation tonight. Like the fact that he has a name. Ah, Jacob. The Dalmation finally has an identity other than the very-tan-dog-man-that-is-most-certainly-not-from-India! How special...!

Yes, it is true that I met him the other night, but - quite frankly - I was too busy looking for spots to pay attention to anything else (like his name, for instance).

Good times!!