Thursday, January 04, 2007

Caught BLACK handed...

Today I had to go to a luncheon.

(“Ug,” said the tomboy…)

In preparation for the event, I decided to polish my black boots. It had been so long between polishings that they had started to look all scuffy and grey in places (especially around the toe). Since there would be lots of older women (including my mother) at this luncheon shindig, I decided to make an attempt at looking presentable. Therefore, last night, I got out some black shoe polish and an old sock that had lost its mate (my substitute for a general lack of rags or cloth) and proceeded to “polish” away.

I was concerned about getting the polish on my hand, so I decided to stick my hand into the sock and wear it like a boot-polishing glove. At the time I thought this was a brilliant idea. That was until I removed my hand from said sock-glove and discovered:

Eeeeeeeeek...

That’s right. I dyed three of the four fingers on my right hand BLACK. The sad thing is that this picture was taken after a thorough scrubbing in the shower, two nail polish remover treatments and a somewhat lame attempt to exfoliate my hand.

Le sigh.

Unfortunately, the condition did not “clear up” overnight. Instead, my hand matched my black, shiny knee-high boots at the luncheon. I thought briefly about doing the whole glove thing, but decided that wearing gloves would only draw more attention to the fact that I am (alas!) an idiot.

7 comments:

Greg said...

At least you finally resolved that in your mind.

How funny! Have been explaining why your fingers are black to everyone?

Classic.

JLR said...

haha! THAT should go over well with that crowd. But, um, seriously, you didn't feel the polish on your fingers?

Deals On Wheels said...

Ben: I did a lot of explaining yesterday (especially to my mother and sister). In a cruel twist, the black started to wear off after the luncheon and was almost 100% gone by this morning. Of course!!!

JLR: The directions said to "use a damp cloth", so I wet the sock. Since it was damp already, I didn't notice the polish seeping through.

Deals On Wheels said...

I'd also like to mention that Trevor, upon seeing my black fingers, stated:

"It looks like you gave yourself an oil check."

What words of love and support! :P

Unknown said...

LMAO! No, seriously, that sounds like something I would do.

Tim Rice said...

Oh, how frustrating that must have been!

But at least it gives you a story to tell.

Katie said...

seriously i'm trying to think of something nice to say but I can't think between all the laughing


this is why i just buy new shoes when they need polishing, costly but no danger of black hands