Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Year's and a towel rack…

Trevor and I spent New Year’s Eve at a party hosted by Trevor’s mother and her husband. It was a lot of fun. There were about 30 to 40 people there, of which Trevor and I were the youngest by (at least) two or three decades.

Despite the fact that we were very much junior to the rest of the crowd, Trevor had a particularly hard time making it to midnight. The older folks were all bright-eyed with excitement and anticipation for the New Year (as well as tipsy, I’m sure, from an evening of red wine, champagne and caramel-coated brie). Not my man, however. If 60 is the new 30, than Trevor must be 85.

True to form, Trevor welcomed 2007 with a yawn, a kiss (for me), a blinky-eyed smile and the words, “Ready to go now?”

I didn’t mind, though. After all, it was after midnight and Trevor’s compulsive yawning was becoming contagious.

So, I began the process of saying our “goodbyes” while Trevor ran ahead to claim my purse in the master bedroom.

I had just finished thanking Trevor’s mom for the wonderful evening, when I noticed Trevor trying to get my attention out of the corner of my eye. At first I thought he was motioning for me to wind up the conversation with his mother, but then I realized how excited he seemed to be about something. He was literately bouncing with anticipation (if he was a little kid he would have been pulling on my pant leg). This was definitely an interesting development - seeing as though Trevor had been about three seconds away from falling asleep standing up when I saw him just moments before.


“What’s the matter,” I asked?

“You need to see this! It’s awesome,” exclaimed Trevor!

“Alright. What is it?”

“You’ll see. Come with me.”

I followed Trevor into the master bedroom and watched as he eagerly pointed at the so-called “awesome” item in question.

“What,” I inquired?

“This,” he said and pointed at it again.

“It’s a towel rack.”

“Yeah, I know! Isn’t it great?! Wait! There’s more!”

“Okay…”

“Touch it.”

“It’s a heated towel rack.”

“How awesome is THAT?!”

“I dunno’, Trev. Pretty awesome, I guess?”

“You don’t sound too excited.”

“Well, I have a heated towel rack, that’s all.”

“Yeah, but is it made out of wood?!”


Yes, that’s right. My boyfriend could care less about the start of a new year, but goes bananas over a heated, WOODEN towel rack. That, my friends, is what they call, “unique”.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Want to hear something even more awesome!?! I bought my very own french fry maker tonight...now that's huge.

Jealous???? I think so...

Deals On Wheels said...

Bought it where? At the gym?

Anonymous said...

no at the grocery store... I got lucky,it was the last one they had. It seems alot of people want to make their own french frys.

Deals On Wheels said...

So is that what we are having for dinner tonight? Sweet potato French fries?

Amstaff Mom said...

I think it's "unique" that y'all are having a conversation about eating french fries for dinner in the comments section of blogger.

Now THAT'S unique. Can't say hubby and I have ever done that.

We're the "young'uns" at the annual Christmas party we go to. Most of the people have kids our age. But boy are they fun. And their cookies are the BOMB.

Deals On Wheels said...

AM: You're just jealous...OBVIOUSLY!! :P


mesus

Tim Rice said...

I think you'll treasure these unique moments.