Thursday, October 25, 2007

Night of the Living Gnome...

Like, I wanna' be scared!
So, my sister left a note for me that read:

“Just FYI: I want to go somewhere haunted and eat pizza on Friday. Then I want to watch something haunted and sleep over at your house in your bed. I'm so excited!”

See, it is her 22nd birthday tomorrow, and she loves:

  1. Haunted Houses. And not places like THIS (although she enjoys those, too), but “real” haunted houses with “real” ghosts (or at least “real” ghost stories).


  2. Pizza. Especially, Campisis. Yum.


  3. Movies and TV shows based on “actual” hauntings.


  4. Sleeping in my bed. It’s a Temper-Pedic (can you blame her?!).



I think I’ve got items 2-4 covered, but number 1 is presenting a problem. Apparently, Dallas isn’t known for its wealth of earthbound spirits. Well, except for The Lady of the Lake, I suppose. But she doesn’t seem tied to any one particular part of the lake, and I don’t feel like driving in circles.

Here are some other options:

  1. Millermore House at Old City Park is apparently haunted. A so-called “friend” of mine works there, so you’d think I’d be able to work my connections and get my sister locked in the house after dark. Apparently, not, though. Grrrr…


  2. Snuffers on Greenville Avenue is supposedly haunted. Sounds like the ghost only shows up for the restaurant staff, though.


  3. Waxahachie has a lot of haunted locations. But, really. Who wants to drive to Waxahachie on a Friday night?


  4. The Majestic Theater purportedly has a long dead benefactor that “moves backdrops, operates phone lines and emits strange smells”. Hmmmmm. A farting ghost? Interesting...


  5. Flag Pole Hill sounds intriguing. Well, at least until you consider the reported paranormal activity. Legend has it that local police warn people about driving on this stretch of Northwest Highway at night after several vehicles suffered “unexplainable damages”. Yeah. No thank you. Damage to my car isn’t cool. I don’t care if you ARE a ghost!


  6. If it wasn’t $200 a night, I’d totally consider booking a room at the Hotel Adolphus. I’d even put on my “brave face” for a chance to see the marble staircase that leads to the old ballroom. I’m a history dork, after all. Stuff like this fascinates me. Although, I’d prefer to see it during the day (and sans spirits)…



Any other suggestions?!

7 comments:

The Runt said...

I found my tape recorder so we can do some EVP work and then play it back while we carve the pumpkins!

Anonymous said...

so I'm a "friend" now? humph
Seriously, I told G about your request and my counter and he said that if you meet my requirements, the whole family can be locked in Millermore. . .

JLR said...

When rr was in undergrad, she worked at a Monterey’s restaurant. The restaurant had some employees from the Grand Prairie location come in one night, and they claimed that the Grand Prairie restaurant is haunted by a female ex-employee. For example, they’d hear someone saying “behind you” (as you do when you’re waitstaff), but no one would be there. That kind of thing. But I don’t know if you would experience anything like that as a customer.

JLR said...

You could also swing by the bookstore and see if they have Texas Guide To Haunted Restaurants, Taverns & Inns or Ghosts of North Texas.

Anonymous said...

I heard the Campisi's is owned by the mob.

~Jef

Lia said...

No suggestions, but I'd like a pizza.

Amstaff Mom said...

I think the ghost at Snuffer's is the thin body that I had when I first starting eating there 13 years ago. That body is dead, and has been replaced by a much larger body.

Body-Snatchers!!! Scary, indeed.