Monday, August 25, 2008

Dude, it's too early on a Monday for stuff like this...

The Cotton Bowl is either on fire or is about to lift off into outer space. I’m not sure which, but the weird alarm that keeps going off is about to drive me insane. Not that I work anywhere near the Cotton Bowl or anything…

…Yeah, whatever.

Anyway, there are these three loud "whoop" noises followed by some sort of prerecorded voice that says something before another three whoops. It almost sounds like Danielle Rousseau’s radio transmission on the TV Show LOST, if that makes any sense.

One of my coworkers just came into my office and told me that if something really is wrong with the Cotton Bowl, she’s out of here. I’d probably be more concerned if I didn’t see a small army of landscapers busily mowing the grass right outside the Cotton Bowl’s walls. Of course, the obvious lack of personnel (cops, firemen, alarm techs, City of Dallas repair guys) IS a little disconcerting. Like that time two or three years ago when the museum’s fire alarm went off following a campus-wide power failure. A day and a half later, two firemen came bursting into the building in full fire-fighting attire asking if we were all okay. The security guard just looked at them, blinked and replied, “Uhmmm, yeah. We’re good. Alarm was turned off yesterday. Glad to know you guys are on top of things.”

Not that I blame the fire department, mind you. They are only as good as the information they are provided. The City, however, is a different story. Grumble, grumble.

And the alarm continues to go off…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, Laura Miller turned the Cotton Bowl into a big mother-ship so she and Tom Cruise could meet the aliens in the sky.

Knot