Friday, September 26, 2008

It’s THAT time of the year again…

Photo "borrowed" from NPR


Yep. It’s DAY ONE of the State Fair of Texas. The beginning of 24 straight days of fried food, no parking and thousands of super-weird people.

CASE IN POINT: Around noon, I was sitting at my desk composing an email. Out of nowhere, I had the overwhelming sensation that I was being watched. Turning slowly in my chair, I discovered a man outside my office window eating a giant, greasy turkey leg.

He was staring at me.

Not really know how to respond to this, I turned back to my computer and continued to type.

A couple of super-awkward minutes went by before I (finally) couldn’t take it any longer and turned back towards the window. He was still there. This time he waved and winked at me.

I stared back and kind of blinked at him in disbelief. What on earth could he be so fascinated with anyway? People typing on keyboards isn’t exactly what I consider edge-of-your-seat entertainment. And it wasn’t like he was going to gain insight into the secret life of a museum educator by watching me work. Dude, I’m not a State Fair exhibit or a goldfish - LEAVE ME ALONE!

Sadly, my feelings on the issue were not obvious, and the strange guy continued to stare at me until he finally finished gnawing on his turkey leg. Once done, he casually walked away and left me in peace.

Even though I haven’t seen him since, I decided to close my blinds. I’ve had my fill of creepiness today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel better I'll come to the fair and stare at you. At least I won't be as creepy, but I will eat a turkey leg ... that's what I do.

But my fair pants are going crazy!!!

Knot

The Three of Us said...

I can't wait to go to the NC fair..
Maybe you could make Addie and I a button with your picture on it to wear while we are there... Then we can stare at you while we eat our turkey leg... j/k :)
I wish you would have taken a picture of that man eating his turkey leg and put it on your blog... that probably would have REALLY freaked him out... you pop up from typing and take his picture really quick then type some more...

RR said...

I would suggest for next time (I'm guessing there will be a next time) closing the blinds a bit sooner. And by "sooner," I mean, "right away."

RR said...

Creepy.