Thursday, February 26, 2009

WWJD...

Well, it is the Lenten season again, and I’ve given up everything that tastes good. Just like last year, I’ve sworn off the following:

  • All sweets

  • Fried food

  • Alcohol


I don’t partake in any of the above items that frequently, but find that giving up all three is very challenging. Chances are that I’ll crave one of the items at least once during the next forty days.

But less than 48 hours into my Lenten fast, I broke one of my three vows – I ate something fried!

Here’s the story:

I went out to lunch at a local Thai restaurant with two other museum professionals (for the sake of anonymity, let’s call them E&E). Both E&E wanted egg rolls, and the waitress/owner of restaurant (it is a small hole-in-the-wall) asked if I wanted one as well.

Me: “Oh, no thanks. Can I just have a spring roll instead?”

Waitress/Owner: “Why don’t you want an egg roll?”

Me: “I don’t eat pork, and would prefer something vegetarian.”

Waitress/Owner: “Tell you what. I am going to make you something - something very special. Something just for you.”

Me: “Okay.”

And She did make me something special: a vegetarian egg roll. A FRIED vegetarian egg roll.

Complicating matters even further, she presented the egg roll to me and said, “I am so excited! You let me know what you think, okay? It is a new recipe – just for you! I made it special order with no pork! It is completely vegetarian!”

And then she just stared at me - eagerly waiting for me to take the first bite.

...!!!

What was I supposed to do?!

So, I made the split decision to spare her feelings and eat the fried egg roll. And, for the record, it was good. Very good.

But I am left feeling guilty that I broke my vow.

Sigh. I guess I’ll extend my Lenten fast until 48 hours after Easter to make up for it. God will understand, right?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SINNER!!!!!!! :) only kidding of course. Completely understandable and you just have to move forward and continue. 3 things though is impressive in itself! (overacheiver.) I'm only giving up alcohol and meat on Fridays!

Anonymous said...

Pagan!!! LOL Being evangelical - my new phrase for protestants who don't do stuff like lent - I never got lent. Ever.