Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The BOOMIES are coming! THE BOOMIES!

Last night we had a pretty strong thunderstorm blow in around 11:30 PM.

Normally, when it comes to thunder, both Gypsy Kitty and Haskell are Grade A wimps. And this storm was no different. Gypsy left her dog bed (located in the corner of my room) for the rug closest to me and my bed. When the loudest of claps thundered overhead, she’d put her front paws up on my mattress and stare at me as if to say, “It's thundering.”

Knowing that thunder really freaks her out, I’d pet her head and reassure her that everything was okay. She was safe and dry inside the house, no worries.

Haskell, on the other hand, was a different story all together.

Normally, when it thunders, Haskell abandons his bed in the guest room for the security of “being closer to mommy”. But last night, Haskell decided that his bed was just too warm and comfy to leave.

THUNDER!

Haskell: [From his bed in the other room] “Squeak!”

Me: “Hasky, baby, it’s okay. Why don’t you come in here?”

Haskell: [Frustrated sigh as if to say, “But my bed is so nice and warm!”]

THUNDER! THUNDER!

Haskell: “Squeak!”

Me: “Seriously. Just come in here.”

Haskell: “Whimper…”

THUNDER! THUNDER! THUNDER!

Haskell: “Squeak! Squeak!”

Me: “I’m not coming in there! If you are scared, you can come to me!”

Haskell: [Softly, as if begging…] “Squeak?”

I finally did get up to check on my dog – mainly, to make sure there wasn’t anything preventing him from coming to me. There wasn’t. Although, he happily wagged his tail when I walked in as if to say, “Finally! Now, will you sit with me until the storm passes?”

Little bugger.

4 comments:

Denise said...

Our dogs have us so well trained. :)

Anonymous said...

Aww, Hasky's got you wrapped around his finger!

Deals On Wheels said...

Or paw, rather. ;P

Anonymous said...

Wow; he has you trained. I love Haskell.