Friday, November 20, 2009

Why I limit my exposure to horror films...

Every so often I find myself unable to sleep, because I am trying – desperately – to come up with a realistic action plan incase of a zombie attack.

Mostly, I find myself primarily concerned over the type of zombie attack. If, say, it is a zombie attack similar to the one in 28 Days Later, I know I only need to find a safe place with access to enough food and fresh water to survive for a month.

However, in the event of a zombie attack similar to the 2004 version of Dawn of the Dead, I’m not sure what I’d do. Zombies of this type won’t die, and I am still haunted by the decapitated head floating in the box in the ocean. When the box was opened, the zombified head was still thrashing around violently and trying to bite the survivors. So, assuming you could make it to some sort of deserted island in the middle of the ocean, who could say that a Dawn of the Dead zombie wouldn’t – carried aimlessly by tides and currents – eventually wind up on YOUR island? I’m sure there isn’t an island remote enough for castaway survivors of this kind of zombie attack to ever feel completely secure. Especially, if you’ve ever watched the documentary on the Discovery Channel that explains how coconut trees and other small plants and animals found their way to the oh-so remote Hawaiian Island chain gazillions of years ago. I don’t know about you, but I’d never feel safe if there was even a teeny tiny chance that a zombie might fall out of the sky one day thanks to some distant typhoon over the Philippians.

It also concerns me that it might not be immediately obvious WHICH kind of zombie attack I am dealing with. And – with so many different types of potential zombies out there – how does one adequately prepare for an attack?

Again, I lose sleep over stuff like this!

Did I mention that I have put more thought into survival plans involving zombies than I have for fire, flood or tornados? Trevor finds that alarming. I, however, am used to planning for worst case scenarios. And, quite frankly, what could possibly be worse than an attack of the undead?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nothing. There is nothing that could be worse, and you are a smart girl for recognizing that! May we never have to suffer a zombie attack.