Monday, May 03, 2010

Bueno!

Trevor’s home! I met him and the rest of the mission team at the airport yesterday morning. My husband’s first words to me were, “Oh, look! You are wearing the same shirt you had on the last time I saw you!”

Since I wore it last EIGHT DAYS AGO, the aforementioned shirt had been washed, ironed, folded and placed back in my t-shirt drawer. And because all the washing, ironing and folding had just taken place in the last couple of days, the shirt was on top. Minimal thought was paid to my outfit Sunday morning. Trevor was – quite frankly – lucky I had thrown on clean clothes when I rolled out of bed. Plus, to be fair, I hadn’t worn that particular t-shirt in over a week. Don’t I get credit for that?

And of course I cried. Because that is what I do in front of the mission team, apparently. For some reason, I am a walking water works around those people. I cried – randomly – at the last mission team meeting on April 18th. Then again when I had to say “goodbye” to Trevor on the 24th. And it honestly hadn’t occurred to me to cry when I welcomed him back until one of the other mission team members yelled from the escalator, “Don’t worry! He is coming! Don’t cry!”

So, yeah. I cried when I saw him. Even after he disclosed my lack of wardrobe creativity to the entire baggage claim.

The ba$tard.

One of the other mission team members tried to put a positive spin on my tears by referring to me as “sentimental”. Trevor found this humorous. Next time I should make a mental note to miss him less.

Only after I dried my eyes did Trevor start in on my diet in his absence. How was I supposed to know that he had Wi-Fi in Peru? The hostel where they were staying was described as having “occasional hot water”. I figured the chances of it having wireless internet was slim to none. Yet it did. And because Trevor had nothing better to do than check my blog, he was more than aware of my diet of popcorn and Cheerios.

Trevor: “Do we have any food at the house?”

Me: “Ummm...”

Trevor: “I am guessing we are out of popcorn and Cheerios?”

Me: “Actually, we still have plenty of those.”

Trevor: “How is that possible?”

Me: “Well, I ran out of milk on Wednesday, so that was kind of it for the Cheerios. Luckily, dad’s birthday was Thursday, and Mel came over for dinner on Friday. And I had meal replacement bars for the meals in between.”

Trevor: “And last night?”

Me: “Popcorn. I figured it was only appropriate since you were returning today. Like a farewell to a good friend.”

No comments: