Friday, June 03, 2011

If someone would just throw me a (freakin') bone, I'd be completely fine...

Thanks to my blog’s Live Traffic Feed (complements of Feedjit) I am well aware of the FIVE visits my site has had in the last twenty four hours from Arequipa, Peru. While it is possible that my blog is the cat’s meow in South America, it is more likely that Trevor has been spying on me. I say “spying” because it is not like the boy is commenting, emailing, Facebooking or making any effort to otherwise communicate with me.

Well, I take that back. He DID Facebook me. Once. On Tuesday. The message? “How are u doing? Things are going good here. heading to the orphanage to watercolor with the kids.”

For those keeping track, that is a total of eighteen words. Nineteen if you count the subject line which read, “Hola!”

Meanwhile, I Facebooked Trevor back a total of 272 words, and then updated my blog with another 705 words about how I was doing and whatnot. That is a total of 977 words! 958 MORE words than Trevor has written me!

(Wow. That last paragraph makes me sound whiney, neurotic, pathetic, somewhat obsessed and more than a little wordy.)

(All of which is more or less true.)

But I digress…

Last Saturday, I drove Trevor to the church to meet the other mission team members before they all piled into a van and headed to the airport. While in route, Trevor turned to me and said, “Oh, and will you pick me up at DFW next Sunday?”

Me: “Sure. What is your flight number?”

Trevor: “I don’t know off the top of my head. I will email it to you.”

We then proceeded to arrive at the church, and I had to ask – nay, BEG - Trevor to kiss me goodbye before he hopped in the van for the airport. He was so eager to go, he nearly closed the door in my face.

All this might have something to do with why I am refusing to miss him publically.

As for the flight information? Well, as of TODAY, I have only received one meager attempt at correspondence from my husband on Tuesday, which (again) read: “How are u doing? Things are going good here. heading to the orphanage to watercolor with the kids.” Please note that none of that has any bearing on air travel. Unless it is written in code. If so, Trevor should already know that I am not that observant or clever.

Granted, I was able to ascertain his return flight information by emailing one of the other mission team spouses. But then she wanted to know why Trevor didn’t give it to me, and I had to explain to her that he probably thought he DID…psychically.

We had a good giggle.

(And I cried a little on the inside.)

Meanwhile, this same mission team spouse has been forwarding her husband’s emails around to the rest of the “Prayer Team”. There have been several emails from him to her, containing MULTIPLE paragraphs, each more detailed than the last, with loads of information about the trip, what they have been doing each day, etc. To say I was jealous is a complete understatement.

This same mission team member also has time to upload photos of the group to Photobucket and – here’s the kicker – he just happens to be Trevor’s roommate in Peru. So, if HE has time to send his wife paragraphs and photographs, why doesn’t Trevor?

See: JEALOUS! I didn’t lie!

The worst is that I am fairly sure Trevor hasn’t missed an opportunity to follow the Mavericks in the NBA Finals on the internet. And he obviously has had time to check my blog FIVE FLIPPING TIMES in the last twenty four hours. So, why, why, WHY hasn’t he written me anything else? People keep asking me how he is doing, and all I have to share is that he went to watercolor with the kids sometime on Tuesday. As far as I know, he is STILL watercoloring. I know nothing else!

Next year, if Trevor returns to Peru, I’ve already decided that I am not going to blog, Facebook or otherwise communicate with my husband. Except, of course, for one random wall post midweek that says something to the effect of:

“How are you? I am fine. Gotta’ go to work now.”

HRMPH!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hola. To my defense I don't have a computer or cell phone with. The itouch is a great thing but it's hard to type paragraphs (plus I have been circle praying!). Anyway I have taken lots of pictures and I will try and remeber to bring something back for you. Love from the hubby.

Trebor (my new Peru name) said...

By the way. My room doesn't have cable so I have to actually walk down the hall to watch the mavs game in Spanish.

Racbel (my new Namibian name that I just made up right this second) said...

Is circle praying when you run in circles while listing the reasons why God is awesome? I bet the kids at the orphanage prefer watching that to watercolors. Way to make a difference in Peru.

Deals On Wheels said...

Trebor: Thank you. And yes, "please" try to bring your wife something. I'm gunna remember that statement if I ever go somewhere neat-o without you.

Racbel: You're so pretty.