Friday, April 27, 2012

Mama said there would be days like this (or the days are like this because I am a mama)...

People keep asking why they never see me anymore. I assure them that it isn’t personal. I feel bad because there are a lot of people I see all the time, while others that I’ve only seen once or twice since the baby arrived.

It isn’t because I am a hermit now that I have a baby. I swear. I’ve been in two weddings since giving birth, and have attended three. Additionally, I’ve been to luncheons, wedding/baby showers, bachelorettes and even participated in the White Rock Home Tour last week. I’m getting out. Honest.

That said, I haven’t been to a movie since having Banner, and most days only have a maximum of 45 minutes to an hour to myself now that I’m back at work full time. Because of the baby and his schedule, going out to dinner is difficult and exhausting. It is much easier if people come to us because, that way, we don’t have to repack the diaper bag immediately after getting home from daycare for another out-of-the-house activity. Plus, there is laundry to be done (oh-so much laundry), bottles to be sterilized and breasts to be pumped. Going out for dinner on a random Tuesday just isn’t relaxing when you are working full time and have a baby at home. Life is full enough all ready. The last thing I need is spontaneity.

Case in point: Here is my typical schedule since returning to work full time:

3 AM (ish) – Wake up and pump.

3:30 AM – Crawl back in bed and try to fall back asleep.

3:45 AM – Kick Trevor because he is snoring.

4 AM – Have irrational and completely nonsensical conversation with still sleeping husband:

Me: “Roll over. You are snoring.”

Trevor: “Okay.” [Trevor doesn’t move and continues snoring]

Me: “Seriously. Roll over.”

Trevor: “I did.”

Me: “No, you didn’t. You didn’t move at all.”

Trevor: “Oh.” [No movement but snoring starts up again]

Me: “Please roll over.”

Trevor: “Again?”

Me: “Sure.”

Trevor: “Okay.” [Nothing]

Me: [To myself] “FML.”

Trevor: “Did you say something?”

Me: …!


4:15 AM – Finally fall back asleep (if lucky).

Somewhere between 5:15 to 6 AM – Trevor gets up to feed Banner. As much as I try to sleep through this, I rarely ever do. My hubby isn’t as quiet as he thinks he is. Luckily, I can usually fall asleep during the actual feeding. Unless, of course, Banner decides to protest being burped. Or changed. Or because Trevor decided to grow a beard.

Mondays, Wednesdays and Friday Mornings:

6:15-6:45 AM – Trevor brings Banner to me in bed to hold while he showers and gets ready for work. Most days, Banner falls asleep snuggled up next to me. Bliss.

6:45 AM – Trevor takes Banner to day care.

6:45 – 6:59 AM – Try to go back to sleep. Usually manage to fall into deep sleep, so I am extra special groggy when my alarm goes off.

7 AM – Said alarm goes off.

7:01 – 7:30/7:45 AM – Brush teeth, wash face, get dressed, etc.

7:45 – 8:15 AM – Pump.

8:15 – 8:30 AM – Sterilize bottles and pumping equipment.

8:30 – 8:35 AM – Pack breast pump.

8:35 – 8:40 AM – Get dogs situated for day (water, cookies, Kongs stuffed, etc.)

8:40 – 8:45 AM – Grab something to eat (if lucky and running ahead of or on schedule, which almost NEVER happens).

8:45 AM – Leave for work.

9 AM – Arrive at work.

Somewhere between 11 and Noon – Pump.

Somewhere between 3 and 4:45 PM (depending on schedule) – Pump.

5 PM – Leave work.

5:01 – 5:15 PM - Drive to gym.

5:15 – 5:30 PM – Change into workout clothes.

5:30 – 6:30/7 PM – Workout.

7 – 7:30 PM – Run to store or grab something for dinner (if nothing planned).

7:30 – 7:50 PM – Arrive home, say quick “Hello” to husband and baby, put away groceries/dinner, feed dogs, pick up after dogs in yard, water plants, etc.

7:50 – 8 PM – Help Trevor put Banner down (this is his “witching hour”), put away pumped milk from work and set up pump in guest bedroom, go through diaper bag and take out dirty outfits, bottles, start laundry if necessary, etc.

8 – 9 PM – Eat dinner, relax, watch TV or blog.

9 – 9:30 PM – Sterilize bottles and pumping equipment from day, switch out and/or put away laundry (if necessary), etc.

9:30 – 10 PM – Pump.

10 PM – Give expressed milk to Trevor so he can feed Banner.

10 – 11 PM – Sterilize bottles from 9:30 pumping session and Banner’s 10 PM bottle, finish laundry (if necessary) and put clothes away, pack Banner’s bag for daycare (clean outfits, bibs, etc.), check for any special items needed at daycare the next day (books, special toys, more diapers, etc.) and pack those things as well. Get three bottles (8 ounces each) ready for Banner’s meals the following day at school. Load prepared bottles into thermal bag and loaded into fridge for “easy grab” in morning. Say “Goodnight” to Banner.

11 – 11:30 PM – Shower, brush teeth, get ready for bed.

Between 11:30 and Midnight – Get in bed. Go to sleep.


Tuesdays and Thursdays and Friday Afternoons:

6:30 AM – My alarm goes off.

6:31 – 7/7:15 AM – Brush teeth, wash face, get dressed, etc.

7:15 – 7:45 AM – Pump.

7:45 – 8 AM – Sterilize bottles and pumping equipment.

8 - 8:05 AM – Pack Banner’s bottles, diaper bag, etc. in car.

8:05 – 8:15 AM – Wake up Banner, change his diaper and/or outfit, get him loaded into car seat and into the car.

8:15 – 8:20 AM – Get dogs situated for day (water, cookies, Kongs stuffed, etc.).

8:20 – 8:35 AM – Drive to daycare.

8:35 – 8:45 AM – Get Banner signed/checked in, unloaded from car seat, put milk away in fridge, say goodbye to my baby who is extra special cute in the morning (I still get teary), etc.

8:45 – 9 AM – Drive to work.

9 AM – Arrive at work.

Somewhere between 11 and Noon – Pump.

Somewhere between 3 and 4:45 PM (depending on schedule) – Pump.

5 PM – Leave work.

5:01 – 6 PM – Pick up Banner from daycare, run (if needed) to grocery store or Babies R Us for more diapers, wipes, etc.

Between 6 – 8 PM (depending on Banner’s nap/feeding schedule that day) – Arrive home, nurse him, take him on walk and/or give him a bath, put away pumped milk from work and set up pump in guest bedroom, go through diaper bag and take out dirty outfits, bottles, start laundry if necessary, feed and pick up after dogs, water plants, etc.

8 PM – Put Banner down (this is his “witching hour” so it can take awhile).

Whenever Banner went to sleep to 9 PM – Eat dinner, relax, watch TV or blog.

9 – 9:30 PM – Sterilize bottles and pumping equipment from day, switch out and/or put away laundry (if necessary), etc.

9:30 – 10 PM – Pump.

10 PM – Give expressed milk to Trevor so he can feed Banner.

10 – 11 PM – Sterilize bottles from 9:30 pumping session and Banner’s 10 PM bottle, finish laundry (if necessary) and put clothes away, pack Banner’s bag for daycare (new outfits, bibs, etc.), check for any special items needed at daycare the next day (books, special toys, more diapers, etc.) and pack those things as well. Get three bottles (7 – 7.5 ounces each) ready for Banner’s meals the following day at school. Load prepared bottles into thermal bag and loaded into fridge for “easy grab” in morning. Say “Goodnight” to Banner.

11 – 11:30 PM – Shower, brush teeth, get ready for bed.

Between 11:30 and Midnight – Get in bed. Go to sleep.


The fabulous thing about Saturday and Sunday is that I can usually sleep until 9 or 10 AM (depending on Banner), and actually take the time to nurse him throughout the day instead of pumping and feeding him with a bottle. I don’t know if my milk is coming out slower or if he is finally getting old enough where he can handle a faster flow, but I no longer need to wear the nipple shield or pump for 2-5 minutes beforehand to keep Banner from choking or spitting up during/after he breastfeeds.

We haven’t taken the little guy to church yet (with the exception of Amy’s wedding), because the act of getting there is similar to trying to arrive at work on time. Sleeping in and lounging around on the weekend is divine, and the thought of losing a lazy Sunday morning any time in the near future (with the exception of Banner’s baptism) makes me want to cry. We will eventually get back into a church routine, but in the meantime I am hoping God will forgive us!

Speaking of forgiveness, if you know any new parents, especially ones that are working full time in addition to trying to figure out the ropes of parenthood, go easy on them. They aren’t ignoring you. They want to hang out with you. They miss movies and going out with friends and being social. This is just a weird time in life when almost every minute in every day is spoken for, and those that aren’t are usually saved for things like eating, sleeping, taking a shower or going to the bathroom. Your friends will resurface eventually, and will want to hang out and catch up. Because, believe me, they miss you just as much as you miss them. Maybe more. Because, even though parenthood is wonderful and rewarding, it is hard to forget how much simpler things were before the baby. I wouldn’t change a thing, mind you, but every now and again I remember how easy it was to doing things (like take a bubble bath or go out to dinner and a movie before January 4th, 2012), and sigh. It isn’t that I have regrets (I don’t!), but ANYTHING involving a baby is a production. You get used to it and it gets easier, but you never forget the way it was before your world was filled with diapers, extra outfits, pumping schedules and “emergency” bottles. I guess a full heart comes with a full schedule.

Oh, and it also comes with looking absolutely exhausted. As everyone tells me each and every morning. Fabulous. I haven’t slept more than four hours in a row since the baby arrived, so perky obviously does not apply to me anymore (did it ever?). Quite frankly, I’m amazed I haven’t passed out at my desk in a puddle of my own drool. Sigh…maybe tomorrow.  It seriously wouldn't surprise me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ya...I'm not really sold on this having a baby thing...