Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Ear drama...

I alluded to it in my last post, but Banner has had a really hard time with his ears lately. It is part of the reason that I've been slacking on the blog updates since returning from Baltimore. His left ear was first diagnosed as "infected" back on April 26th. A ten day course of antibiotics were prescribed, but it was clear something was still wrong a few days after the last dose was administered. Sure enough, the left ear was STILL badly (as in snot-coming-out-of-his-eye-again) infected when I took him back to the doctor on May 10th. A different antibiotic was prescribed for another ten day course. 

On the 22nd, I took him BACK to the doctor for a ear recheck and did a little mental happy dance when the doctor announced that Banner's left ear was finally better and looked great. Then he looked in his right ear and...infected. I almost lost it in the doctor's office.

The doctor and I went back and forth about what to do. Apparently, if it was September, this would be a no brainer. Banner would get tubes. But there is something about this time of year that makes him hesitate. He had some valid points (risks associated with anesthesia, summer and water play, tubes sometimes only last six months, and he doesn't want them falling out right before the cold and flu season peaks, etc.), and I had some valid points (too many antibiotics which give Banner terrible diaper rash/upset tummy and make his eczema flair, ear infections and the risk of speech development/delays, etc.). In the end, the pediatrician gave me another prescription for a third antibiotic along with a referral to a pediatric ENT and told me to he'd respect whatever decision I made.

After much discussion and more than a few tears (mine), Trevor and I decided to fill the third prescription and keep our fingers crossed that this round of drugs finally nips the infections in the bud. This wasn't a decision that was reached lightly, and I'm not kidding when I say that I spoke with several nurses (friends of family and coworkers) just to get their take on the situation. They all agreed with the doctor and thought I should try the last round of antibiotics since this latest infection was - technically - in a different ear that hadn't had any problems since January. 

Of course, a third round of antibiotics is not ideal by any means, but it helps that this course of meds is only seven days long and Banner seems to - finally (knock on wood) - be feeling better. It kills me that my baby has been in so much pain for the last month, and I just pray he is finally on the road to recovery. 

In other news: Banner is a big fan of grape flavoring. How did parents get their kids to take their medicine before such a thing was invented?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor baby and mommy! I may have mentioned this before, but you might consider trying a chiropractor. Helped Evan TREMENDOUSLY with his ear infection woes when he was wee. I was at my wit's end (and he always let me know he had an ear infection by projectile vomiting. FUUUUUUNNNN).

Good luck!