Friday, August 17, 2007

And the curse of the bad karma continues…

This morning I managed to lock myself out of my house.

The weird thing was that I had my purse and cell phone. My house and car keys just weren’t with them. So, there I was: standing next to my car, all dressed and ready for work, but with no way of getting there. And the situation only became more complicated as I realized the following:

- My landlord (who happens to also be my aunt) is out of town.

- Trevor’s key was given to RR while I was in Colorado (so she could check in on the house and water my plants). RR doesn’t actually live in Dallas anymore. It was kind of convenient for her to stop by every now and again while I was in Colorado, but only because she was working as an intern at an undisclosed location not far from where I live. Said internship, however, ended last week. RR and JLR are currently on vacation, and I seriously doubt either one of them would enjoy driving all the way to Dallas to deliver my stupid key.

- I never gave a key to my next door neighbors (the ones I refer to as the Toolsons) because I've already had their oldest grandchild, Jet, crawl out from the underside of Trevor's car and found him playing in the bushes in my backyard (unbeknownst to the parents and grandparents, of course, who didn’t even realize Jet was missing. The scariest thing is that I’m not even 100% sure how he got back there. Jet is only two and not tall enough to unlatch the backyard gate). If the Toolsons had a key, who knows where else I would find their babies?! I shudder at the thought.

- I can’t remember if I ever gave a key to my mother. If I did it was two years ago, and I might have borrowed it back when my aunt had a lot of work done to the house last summer.

- I always meant to give a key to my sister, but always thought I’d wait until after all the work at the house was complete. I was going to re-key the locks until it was suggested that we replace the doors with new ones (I live in an old house in a historic district. The front and back doors are original to the house, but aren’t in very good condition. However, the City of Dallas has a tendency to block improvements that involve replacing something original to the structure with something new or modern. So, it has been suggested that we look into refurbished doors from the same time period, as the City would be more likely to approve an “old door swap” rather than the construction of a new door). Since the door problem currently remains unresolved, I’ve never gotten around to re-keying anything. Much less, giving people (like my sister) a key to my place.

So, not having a lot of options (and not being awake enough to consider anything like locksmith – at least not yet), I called one of my coworkers and asked her to pick me up on her way into the office. She was running late, though, so I had to sit on my front porch for about half an hour or so before she arrived. Now, I’m sure I smell like a used gym sock and I’m suffering from “sticky armpit syndrome”. Ug.

At least I made it to work, although I’m not sure how I’ll ever leave it now that I am here. After all, my car is locked up back at home with my house keys. Sigh. What a pickle.

4 comments:

RR said...

Um...I would have driven out there to bring you your key. Silly.

Lia said...

Oops. What you need is a mass transit system. And a superpower that lets you walk through walls.

The Runt said...

This is why I should get a key.

Amstaff Mom said...

whew. that stinks. My sis had key problems this week too. After walking White Rock Lake in 120 degrees, she got to her car and realized she'd lost her key.

yeah. that sucks.