Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I missed my calling...

I was finally able to get a repairman over this afternoon to see about my broken fridge and freezer. This was much, much, much more difficult than it should have been. Apparently, Maytag repairmen are extremely busy individuals (despite the TV advertisements that imply otherwise).

Anyway, the visit lasted about seven minutes and went something like this:

Maytag Repairman: “So, what seems to be the problem here?”

Me: “Well, the freezer and fridge are no longer freezing and refrigerating. I think it might be the compressor, but I honestly don’t know much about major appliances.”

[Pause as the Maytag Repairman pulls the fridge/freezer unit out from the wall and sticks his hand inside a panel located on the back of the machine. This whole process takes less than twenty three seconds.]

Maytag Repairman: “Yep. The compressor is shot.”

Me: “Can you fix it?”

Maytag Repairman: “I can, but it isn’t worth the money to do so. This is a bad model. Best you cut your losses and invest in a new one.”

Me: “Oh.”

[Pause as I watch the Maytag Repairman whip out a stack of papers from the bag he is carrying.]

Maytag Repairman: “Okay. Well, let’s see here…that will be $74.86.”

In other words, I told him what was wrong with my fridge and he charged $75 for confirming it (not fixing it, mind you. Just confirming the problem).

I’m obviously in the wrong line of work.

4 comments:

RR said...

Oh, no. Things seem to keep going wrong. That's so sad. At least you had a good vacation.

Anonymous said...

If you just moved to a mountain in Colorado, you could keep all your food outside (since it's cold up there).

But keep it inside some sort of bear-proof container, just in case.

Anonymous said...

Gordon Jump would have never charged $80 to walk into your house. He may have just taken a nap in your bed though.

~Jef

Lia said...

One of my favorite engineer/mathematician jokes - just proves your point. I'm in the wrong career, too.