Monday, December 10, 2007

Bang! Bang!

So, about an hour ago, I was watching the evening news when I heard this loud popping sound. Cautiously, I peeped out the front window of my house and saw a white or cream colored, boxy four door sedan slowly driving down my street. For whatever reason, the people inside the vehicle were either setting off firecrackers or are discharging some sort of automatic weapon.

Fun!

I didn’t panic right away. Gunfire (and fireworks for that matter) is rather common in my area. Not that I live in a bad part of town, mind you. I just live close to a not-so-good part of town. As a result, it is not unheard of for noises from the not-so-good part of town to filter up in to my neck of the woods (read: two or three blocks away).

Plus, I was pretty sure I had heard a Fizz! sound which implied a bunch of kids in a car with firecrackers, not guns.

So, when Haskell squeaked to be let out ten or so minutes later, I didn’t think twice about it. I put both dogs outside in the backyard (to do their “evening business”), while I headed to the back to get ready for bed.

And THAT is when I heard it. Two LOUD BANGS coming from (what sounded like) my backyard. I immediately rushed to the back door to let Haskell and Gypsy Kitty back inside. Part of me was convinced that someone had broken into my backyard, noticed the dogs and opened fire on them.

Instead (thank goodness!), I discovered both my dogs at the back door safe and physically unharmed. Haskell was literately trying to dig his way back indoors, and poor Gypsy was violently shaking all over. Both were terrified.

Not knowing what else to do, I locked the doors, turned off the kitchen light, herded the dogs and myself into the master bathroom (which has no windows) and dialed 911.

Here is the conversation that transpired:

911: “9-1-1. What is your emergency?”

Me: “Uhmmm, yes. There were just gunshots around my house and they were really loud. They sounded like they came from my backyard, but I didn’t see anybody. So, maybe they came from the alley directly behind my house? I’m not really sure.”

911: “Ma’am, where are you calling from?”

Me: “My house. I’m standing in the bathroom…”

911: “No, ma’am. I mean, what is your address?”

Me: “You don’t know? I thought you traced these calls?”

911: “No, ma’am. Not if the person calling can tell me where they are located.”

Me: “Really? Okay, well my address is [blah, blah, blah].”

911: “Thank you, ma’am. I’m showing several reports of gunfire in your neighborhood. Goodbye.”

AND THEN SHE JUST HUNG UP!

I’m sorry, what?!

I sat there staring at the phone unsure of the following:

  1. If anyone was coming to see about the gunshots.


  2. If a certain number of neighborhood residents had to call and complain about hearing gunshots before someone would be dispatched to see about them.


  3. If the DPD even knew where I lived.


  4. If anyone cared. At all.


  5. If I’d be able to lure Gypsy Kitty or Haskell in to the backyard ever again.


Not knowing what else to do (and not feeling up to leaving the bathroom just yet), I tried calling Trevor. Twice. No answer. Some boyfriend HE is (which is too bad because I totally wanted him to come over and protect me)!

No Trevor meant that I proceeded to call my landlord next as well as text both Melissa and RR in the hopes SOME ONE would still be awake. All three were and deserve medals for talking to me and calming me down. Especially Melissa who convinced me that it would probably be safe to leave the bathroom approximately fifteen minutes after the last gunshot. In an effort to be safe than sorry, I hunkered down next to the john for a good half hour.

So, now I’m sitting in bed, typing this blog entry and listening to the sounds of distant gunfire.

Sigh.

Wonder if I’ll calm down enough tonight to get some shut eye?

9 comments:

RR said...

If you don't get any shut eye tonight, at least that means I won't be alone. Stupid group project.

I must say, though, I would prefer a lack of sleep to be due to members of my group project failing to do their share of the work than to be due to gunshots. I'm so sorry that that's what kept you up.

Lia said...

Not a pleasant story, but since you're here to tell it, I trust that everyone is still alive and well? And I hope you get a better sleep tonight.

Anonymous said...

You should never call a boyfriend in an emergency. We are pretty much as useless as 911. If you upgrade to husband you have to wake us up from slumber if there is an emergency.

That's why you see the girls in the slasher movies take off into the woods when they are in trouble. See first they call their boyfriend who they can't get a hold of and then take off in the woods. Then we all scream in the movie, YOU IDIOT! DON'T GO IN THE WOODS!" And that's when the guy in the mask jumps out and disembowels her.



~Jef

PS - Little a and I almost stopped by the other day to say hello. We had no idea when you were working and the honey do list was too long to make the trip.

Deals On Wheels said...

RR: So, did you or did you not hang up on me last night? I assumed the connection was just lost, but then you never called back. I thought about calling you, but worried about your phone’s ringer waking up/disturbing the DT.

If you did hang up, that’s fine. Just keep in mind that you now fit into the same category as the 911 operator.

Lia: No, I never really did fall asleep. I kept hearing distant gunshots (followed by sirens), which greatly disturbed Gypsy. I thought about letting her sleep in the bed with me, but figured if I did that, I really wouldn’t get any shut eye (she likes to cuddle).

Edge: There is a chance that I might not HAVE a job after today. Sigh. If I do, though, let me know if/when you plan to be in the area and I’ll give you a tour.

Anonymous said...

So, when do I get my medal?

RR said...

Deals, I promise I did not hang up on you. My phone lost the connection as I was driving home from school. I was going to call you back, but then I was almost home and was afraid that our conversation would wake up jlr. I made the assumption that all was okay, seeing as how you had left your bathroom. I guess that down-grades me medal-deserving status. :)

Anonymous said...

So do you still have a job?

If you don't, there is something better waiting for you.

~Jef

Anonymous said...

I accidently emailed you a comment or something (question mark)

Anonymous said...

Your blog entry is making my hair stand on end!

XXX Your landlord