Friday, November 21, 2008

The next generation of Baylor Baby Alumni...

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Jennifer Yane


Back in late October, I had my annual appointment with my Gynecologist. For the sake of this post, I’ll call her Dr. K.

Since this appointment is (most likely) the last one I will have before tying-the-knot with Trevor, I made a point of asking Dr. K which blood tests she advises for engaged couples. The State of Texas does not require any blood tests to get married (unlike DC, Georgia, Indiana, Massachusetts, etc.), but I figured it couldn’t hurt to go along with Dr. K’s recommendations. Better safe than sorry, right? Plus, I am kind of glad to know that I am immune to German Measles. I don’t look good in spots…

Anyway, while Dr. K was preparing to draw blood for the various tests she wanted to run, we had the following conversation:

Dr. K: “So, you and Trevor are finally getting married, huh? What has it been five years?”

Me: “Going on six and a half, actually.”

Dr. K: “Have you thought about where you want to give birth?”

Me: “[Long pause] Excuse me? Give birth?”

Dr. K: “You know, which hospital you want to deliver in once the two of you decide to have kids?”

Me: “Um, well, no. I haven’t thought about it at all, actually. I’ve only just figured out the wedding venue, and now my mom is hounding me to hurry up and select bridesmaid colors. But giving birth hasn’t…uh…come up, yet.”

Dr. K: “Well, it is never too early to start thinking about these things, you know. Where were you born?”

Me: “Baylor.”

Dr. K: “And Trevor?”

Me: “Baylor.”

Dr. K: “Well, then, Baylor it is!”

[Dr. K makes a note in my file.]

Me: “Um, okay.”

Dr. K: “And just so you will know, I’ll need three months.”

Me: “For what? The blood tests?”

Dr. K: “Oh, no, no. Not that! I’ll get the results of those to you by early next week. I’m talking about once you and Trevor decide to start trying to get pregnant.”

Me: “Oh, right. I don’t think that will be for awhile. We haven’t, you know, gotten married, yet. Maybe in a few years…”

Dr. K: “[Interrupting] It really is never too early to start thinking about these things. Your future children will thank you. Anyway, I’ll need three months. That way I can get you started on prenatal vitamins. They are very important in the early development of the fetus, you know.”

Me: “Um, yeah. I’ve read that before. But the wedding isn’t until next fall. We’ve still got loads of time…”

Dr. K: “I know, I know. I just want you to understand that I need three months. So, the second you two start thinking about trying – call me at once, okay?”

Me: “Yeah, okay. Three months. Got it. I’ll tell Trevor.”

Dr. K: “Good. And while you’re at it, tell Trevor that we are all dying to meet him. Next time you are up this way, bring him by the office…”

Yep. That’s right. I can’t commit to wedding colors, but I have a hospital to give birth in before I am even married. Talk about planning in advance!

And I thought planning a wedding was stressful! That doctor’s visit alone cost me half an eyebrow!

Bah!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what pharmaceutical rep is she pushing vitamins for? Geesh! Give it a rest lady. All this while you wer naked on the table and she's examining you????

Knot

Deals On Wheels said...

No, I was in one of those fun hospital gowns that opens in the back. Luckily, the examination had already concluded at this point, but still. Not the most comfortable conversation in the world...

This is my life so far said...

Hey,I would have had the same reaction as you. I did not know any of that as well. Thanks for sharing. Also, it is funny to me that she said we are dying to meet Trevor and to bring him up to your next visit. What I want to know is what did Trevor think of that comment?????

Deals On Wheels said...

He just smiled.

Of course, my mom is friend's with my GYN, so he'll probably end up meeting her at some point.

Poor Trevor.

Anonymous said...

it's all good, we are expecting to have kids by April/2010 anyway....

Deals On Wheels said...

Bah!