Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Halloween Recap 2008...

We had a pretty low key Halloween this year. My mom went out of town, so there were no puppy parades around the block, dog birthday parties in honor of Zeus the Pomeranian, or bobbing for treaties in a big, blue bucket. Tragic, I know!

Instead, Trevor, Mel and I passed out candy to the trick-or-treaters that came by my house and watched a movie. Realizing that Halloween falling on a Friday night might produce more costumed children than usual, I bought between $60 and $70 worth of candy (extreme, I know. But we get loads of trick-or-treaters every year). Mel brought an additional $10 or $20 in Butterfingers, Kit Kat and Twix bars, and Trevor’s holiday contribution was take-away from Ali Baba’s in Lakewood (yum…hummus).

Keeping with Halloween tradition, we dressed the dogs up in costumes. Why? Because Haskell LOVES to wear clothes (as will be evident in the pictures below). Alley could care less one way or the other, and Gypsy? Well, Gypsy hates wearing costumes of any kind, but having them on prevents her from freaking out over the incessant doorbell ringing and masses of children at the front door.

Plus, it is cute. See for yourself:

Alley Cat wore Gypsy’s costume from last year. I think she looks like a cigar store Indian here…


Haskell was a pirate. A LAZY pirate.


Then, we got out some cookies, and Pirate Haskell started to drool. A lot.


Happy Haskell


Please NOTE the eye patch. Haskell had no problem wearing it. That is, until he started to walk back inside and noticed that something on the right side of his head wasn’t quite right.


Gypsy, on the other hand, was not amused.


At all.


Husky Haskell’s costume was a little tight. The velcro kept tearing apart.


Gypsy REFUSED to look even marginally happy all evening.


She looks perfectly content from behind, however. At least the jack-o-lantern was smiling!


Not so much from the front, though. What a sulky puppy!


Haskell waited excitedly for trick-or-treaters at the front door for most of the evening. As far as he was concerned, everyone was just stopping by to admire him in his pirate costume.


That is, until he got too tired and decided to take a nap in the middle of the floor. Being adorable is exhausting.


Despite all the candy, we still managed to run out before 8 PM. Yes, THAT many kids came to my house in just under an hour and a half. It was sheer craziness, and I felt guilty I couldn’t play the trick-or-treat game longer. Apparently, some disgruntled kiddoes felt the same way, as I discovered a couple of broken eggs in my front yard the next morning.

Alas! I tried!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was me... throwing eggs at the front yard cause you wouldn't go out to a party. Whatever, loser.

Denise said...

Your dogs looked SO CUTE! I love that Haskell loves to wear clothes. That's adorable. Poor Gypsy, though. She looks miserable!

The Three of Us said...

They all look so CUTE!! What an adorable gang you have... I have to agree Gypsy did look unhappy... I would dress her up anyway though... I want to get a Christmas Card picture of Addie and Barclay!
Great job Deals!!