Wednesday, May 25, 2011

At the time, we were all in the closet...


You know the weather is bad when you find yourself shoved into a tiny hallway closet with your husband, next door neighbor and three large dogs.

But what is funny is when you realize that, had you been left to your own devices, you probably wouldn't have gone into the closet in the first place. You are only there because your neighbor came over (because she doesn't have a good interior closet or bathroom), and your mother called from Cedar Hill nearly in tears with worry and concern. Suddenly, all the whites and purples on the radar screen seem a little more terrifying than they did before, and, well...okay, I'll go sit in the closet and wait it out. Even if I feel like I am overreacting just a bit.

Of course, when all the rain, large hail and high winds suddenly - and without warning - stop, and the world around you becomes eerily quiet, you are secretly glad you are in said closet. Even if it a tad too warm in there, and you are pretty sure that one of the dogs just farted in your face. For about ninety seconds, no one - not even the dogs - breathes as we wait for something to happen.

Nothing does.

Then the rain and winds pick back up and we know the danger has passed. We all leave the closet breathing heavy sighs of relief. And you are almost immediately embarrassed to admit that, yes, I just rode out a storm in a tiny linen/shoe closet with five other souls for (luckily) no reason at all.

And that, my friends, is how I spent my Tuesday night.

2 comments:

Singular Girl said...

I herded 5 cats into my parents' closet but neither of my parents nor I joined them. Instead we rode out the storm in the bedroom hoping that the tornado wouldn't hit us because we didn't want to join 5 cranky cats in the closet. And that's how I spent my Tuesday night.

Pallav said...

Man, that sounds tough. Hope all is ok your side. Being in a closet is no fun.

N