Monday, May 16, 2011

On backhanded compliments and whatnot...

I wore a dress to Sunday School yesterday. While it is true that I normally wear something resembling chinos and a sweater, I have been known to dress up on occasion. It is just that it is easier to work with kiddos while wearing pants - especially while sitting on the floor or in micro chairs built for six year olds.

But you would have thought I had had a full body make over the way one of the ladies carried on:

V: "You look so nice today!"

Me: "Thank you."

V: "I had no idea you owned any pretty dresses!"

Me: "Um, yeah, well...thanks."

And then I got home and discovered a piece of sour apple jolly rancher stuck to said dress and was immediately reminded why I normally stick with my normal, old, ugly clothes.

Sigh...at least I tried.

2 comments:

RR said...

Did the jolly rancher at least match your dress? Maybe look like part of the design, or a brooch/broach (I can never remember what it's called)?

Deals On Wheels said...

Alas, no. The dress has a white and blue pattern. The jolly rancher was neon green. It stuck out. A lot. And now the dress needs a good dry cleaning.