Monday, June 25, 2012

First solids...

It took awhile because I went to the top of Mount Crazy after someone mentioned to me that feeding my baby rice cereal would cause him to be obese and diabetic later in life, but I finally got around to feeding Banner his first solids.

And by "I" I really mean "Trevor", because he was the one who mixed the baby oatmeal with breast milk on Sunday morning, brought it back to where I was attempting to nurse Banner in bed and essentially said, "So, we are doing this now, okay?" And, well, he wasn't really asking as much as telling me.

This is totally fair because it isn’t like the kid wasn’t ready to enter the wild, wild world of solid food. Banner actually tried to take the situation into his own hands over the weekend by making a play for my sandwich bread. And, boy, is he FAST when motivated. Before I knew what was happening, he grabbed a slice right off my plate and - if it hadn't been for Trevor – was nanoseconds from his first taste of white bread and mustard at the DCC.

Poor baby. We ruin all his fun.

Sunday was also momentous because it was officially the last time I am going to nurse Banner. I didn't plan it that way, but the little guy bit the heck out of my nipple and drew blood. Not to be deterred, though, I tried again. And again. And again. And, well, in the process, I learned two things:

1. Banner is incapable of not biting me. He isn't being malicious. He knew he was doing something wrong and hurting mommy. He just couldn't connect the dots to prevent from doing it again.

2. I gasp when having my nipple gnawed upon. A noise that Banner isn’t a big fan of, apparently.

So, basically, here is the scenario: Banner would bite me, I'd gasp and Banner would cry because my sudden intake of air had scared him. Repeat this scenario ten or fifteen times, and you have me wincing and pleading with him not to bite me every time I offer him my boob. But, because I am stubborn, I WASN’T GOING TO LET SOMETHING LIKE A LITTLE SEARING PAIN AND BLOOD KEEP ME FROM BREAST FEEDING MY BABY.

Until, well, Banner decided for me by refusing to latch. He had had enough.

So, yeah, from now on: BOTTLE.

AND SOLIDS!

Here are the photos:


Trying to eat the bowl.

Mmmmm...


After we'd cleaned him up.

Also, if you are REALLY interested, here are two videos documenting the experience.  He cries in the first one because he is still traumatized by my gasping.  The oatmeal quickly makes up for it, though:


No comments: