Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Urban Dash...

Trevor, my brother and our friend Corbin have gotten really into these obstacle course races around Dallas.  It all started with the Down and Dirty at the beginning of the month in Cedar Hill, and has blossomed with the three of them signing up for various races all over the metroplex at the absolute hottest time of the year.

They think braving the heat makes them manlier.  I think it just makes them a$$hats. 

At least the Urban Dash didn't involve mud.  Because as MUCH
fun as that load of laundry was following the Down and Dirty...

Normally, this sort of thing is right up my alley (despite the heat), but I've been so chronically ill lately that training has been futile.  Of course, the mud runs appeal to me more than races like the Urban Dash (despite the laundry), because I refuse to participate in anything involving a "dumpster dive".  Especially at Fair Park.  I have my limits.  Because even if it is lined and not (currently) full of garbage, it is still a freaking dumpster.  And, well, ew.

Although, said dumpster dive worked out in Trevor's favor.  Apparently, several girls got stuck in the dumpster and needed a boost to get out.  Wouldn't you know that my husband was right there and more than willing to lend a helping hand?  I'm sure Trevor would have elected to stay in the dumpster forever had the wave of hot college coeds in tight spandex not given way to middle aged men. 

Poor Trevor.  All good things must come to an end.

Banner and I went along to cheer on the racers, which would have been substantially more fun if it hadn't been in the mid 90s at 9 AM.  Trevor had gotten his mini me ready that morning, but didn't bother to put sunscreen on him because he "didn't think about it".  Apparently, sunscreen doesn't cross my husband's mind before noon unless he is at a pool or climbing a mountain.  Luckily, I caught the lapse in paternal judgment and Trevor was able to borrow a can of sunscreen for Banner from a wonderful lady manning one of the booths.  I've never been more grateful to see SPF in my life.  Trevor dodged a bullet on that one.  As did Banner's neon white legs.

(Speaking of which: wonder what happened to the TWO bottles of baby sunscreen that used to be in the diaper bag?  Hmmmmmm...must remedy that sooner than later.)

Anyway, the good news is that all the guys had a blast and no one was bleeding or otherwise in need of stitches, crutches or a tetanus booster at the end of the race. 

Like American Ninja Warrior, but different.

The rest of the afternoon was spent indoors trying to recover from the heat of the morning.  Well, that is until Saturday night when Trevor and I attended an OUTDOOR wedding downtown.  Luckily, the ceremony was fifteen minutes long, the bride looked absolutely stunning (despite the heat and floor length gown) and the reception venue was heavily ACed.  Glorious!

No comments: