Sunday, June 10, 2012

The weekly update and then some...

Took the B-Man to the vet pediatrician on Thursday to check his ear and make sure the infection had cleared up (it had), and learned two things:

1.  My little porkchop is now weighing in at just over 17 pounds.
2.  I am the worst mother EV-VER.

Why you ask?  My baby has TEETH.  As in plural.  Not just one, but BOTH of his lower front teeth have broken through the gum.  AND I HAD NO IDEA!

To be fair, I told Trevor I thought I felt a sharp ridge just under the surface last Sunday.  Plus, the doctor said that they probably only broke through in the last twenty four hours or so, but OMG.  How did I miss that?!

In other news, I am working on a list of things NEVER to say to a new mom.  They are similar to my lists of things never to say to a pregnant lady, but are mainly geared towards letting me know that whatever I am doing (or not doing) as a new mother will probably cause my son to fail in dramatic fashion at the game of life later on.  For example:

1.  "You can't feed your son rice cereal!  It will make him obese and give him diabetes!"

This little tidbit is the main reason why Banner has yet to try solids.  He is more than ready, though.  He now cries when he sees someone else eat in front of him and is obsessed with watching us chew and swallow.  He just can't understand why we won't share.  Even daycare has noticed, and a note came home with Banner earlier this week asking when he'd be bringing cereal to school with him.  Apparently, some babies aren't ready for solids until six months, but Banner isn't one of those.  And, yet, I hesitate because OBESITY!  DIABETES!

2.  "If you don't breastfeed for at least a year, you might as well not do it at all."

This is fantastic because there is a pretty good chance that I am going to have to stop nursing Banner in the very near future. I have some sort of antibiotic resistant bacterial infection.  Remember how I was sick a month ago?  And last weekend?  And the week before that?  Yeah, same thing and I can’t seem to shake it. The good news is that it doesn’t seem to be contagious (no one else has gotten it, not even my coworkers, Trev or baby). The bad news is that the only way they can cure it is for me to stop nursing and give me “the good drugs”. I even got a second opinion from a different doctor AND asked my pediatrician just in case he disagreed with the other two (he didn't).  As a last resort, I’m currently on a Z Pack, but the doctor told me that there is only a 20%-30% chance that it will resolve my particular kind of infection. If it doesn’t, I am out of options unless I want to continue to be chronically ill.  And as much fun as it has been...

And it isn't like I can just pump and dump on the not-nursing friendly super antibiotic.  Well, I guess I could try, but I'd be dumping for WEEKS.  Plus, all this not feeling well has already coincided with a dramatic decrease in my milk production (doctors say it is my body's way of trying to focus on fighting the infection). I’ve been dipping in to my frozen stores with more and more frequency despite an effort to pump/nurse MORE.  It is all very disheartening.  And then there are the clogs and plugged ducts, which have recently been a giant problem for me (again, despite regular pumping/nursing). To increase production and relieve a clot last week, I actually managed to make my nipple bleed.  FUN.  Basically, if the Z Pack doesn't clear up this infection, I'm throwing in the towel.  Or, as one of my doctor's said over the phone on Tuesday, she'll come over and bind my breasts for me to ensure that I stop.  How do you argue with that?

3.  "Mothers that really love their kiddos make their own baby food."

Really?  Because I can't cook to feed myself, and I don't want to turn Banner off of food forever by attempting something at which I have no skill.  Plus, homemade purees and baby food aren't allowed at daycare.  Just the store bought stuff.

4.  "Not feeding your baby organic baby food is just plain irresponsible."

Seriously?  Guess it is a good thing I live relatively close to a Whole Foods then.  And can afford it.  But, really, whatever happened to good ole Gerber?  I ate the stuff and I turned okay. Zeesh. 

5.  "Your baby has an ear infection?  In June?  And he isn't even six months yet?  This significantly increases the chances he will need tubes later on."

Because I don't have enough to worry about.

6.  "Children with mothers that stay home with them are happier and better adjusted."

If I stay home, I won't be able to afford organic baby food from Whole Foods, which will make me irresponsible.  I can't win.

7.  "I would never let me baby suck on a pacifier."

Well, good for you.  Just so happens that the hospital recommends them when the baby sleeps to prevent SIDS.  And when I tried to start phasing them out during the day, Banner discovered his thumb.  He is going to suck on something whether I like it or not, because he is a baby and I only have so much control.

8.  "You shouldn't let Banner stand up.  He could skip crawling and start walking instead.  And the longer babies crawl, the better readers they are.  Do you not want your baby to be a good reader?"

I am not going to answer this because, seriously?  Of course I want my baby to be a good reader, but I'm not going to push him down either.  Just like I am not going to tie his left hand to his side if he starts to show signs of being a south paw.  OMG.

9.  "I would never let my baby watch TV."

Again.  Good for you.  It isn't like he is watching hours a day.  He might just catch a glimpse or two while I watch the news and he is nursing. Or while he is playing with daddy while watching sports.  It isn't like we've ever turned something on purely for his viewing pleasure.

10.  After playing, touching or otherwise handling my baby:  "I think I am coming down with something", "I am so sick", OR "I was just diagnosed with [blah, blah, blah] and haven't started antibiotics yet".  

Obviously, illness is a part of life, but I would also like to avoid unnecessary exposure.  I, in turn, promise not to cough and sneeze all over your baby in the future.  Seems like common sense, doesn't it?  Right?  RIGHT?!

[Shakes head]

But on to happier things, here are some photos and Banner updates from the last week or so:

Young Virtuoso.

Grammy Pammy visited Banner at daycare and took this photo.
It captures the moment right before the piano hit him in the head.

And here is Banner right before falling over.
Grammy Pammy entitled it, "TIMBER-R!!"

Poor Banner.  Visits from Grammy Pammy are exhausting
(and dangerous)!

Banner and his new Sassy Seat in the onesie and socks Becky
got Banner last summer before she knew if he was a boy or girl.

Trevor wasn't a big fan of the outfit.
Said he looked like a River Dancer (see video below).



I think it was the tie dye socks.


Of course, it didn't help that Amy thought I had dressed him like a girl.

Another Sunday at the pool.

He was a BIG fan of his new float.

I am a little preoccupied with protecting Banner from the sun.
(this picture makes me laugh so hard)

Banner was less of a fan of the life preserver. 

BOTH my boys managed to leave their lobster swim suits at Grammy Pammy's.
And MINE was the one that got eaten by the dog.  No lie.



My night view.

Banner came to the office for a visit after his doctor's
appointment on Thursday.  Here he is with Pam.

No one can make Banner smile like his daddy.

Not that I am jealous or anything.
(Sniff)

I live for lazy Sundays with my boys.
 
He LOVES his Sophie.

Guess I should be on the lookout for more teeth.

Ooooh...and guess who is in SIZE THREE
diapers as of this weekend?!

Banner and his "hair".  As in singular.

In other news, Banner can now army crawl (see video below) and weighs more than my coworker's niece who was is almost exactly six months OLDER than him.  




Oh, and I can no longer watch movies or read books where the kids are sick or die.  It effects me physically and gives me nightmares.  

And, while we are on the subject of Hollywood, I really dislike Robert Downey, Jr., but I can't tell you why.  He just rubs me the wrong way.  This drives Trevor crazy, because apparently RDJ is in "everything good".

Sigh.

Well, I guess I should start heading towards bed, which is weird since I never got dressed today and I am still wearing my pajamas.  Seriously, is there anything better than a lazy Sunday with the family?  Because, if you ask me, it was pretty darn fantastic.

Until next time!

No comments: