Monday, July 02, 2012

A bunch of words about nothing...

It has been an exciting week.  And by that I mean that not much really happened.  Well, there was that strange lady at Ali Baba's last Thursday that POKED my falafel, but that is more irritating in a "I didn't touch YOUR food so leave mine alone" kind of way.  I'd say it would be different if I knew the lady, but, no, actually.  It wouldn't.  And, furthermore, why is not touching someone else's food not universal?  Because, seriously, leave my falafel alone!

But enough about weird falafel pokers in floral pants at Mediterranean food restaurants.  The best part of that story was why I was there in the first place.  Namely, it was the going away party for one of my coworkers.  The same coworker I bought cheap potato vodka for while ten months pregnant back in December.  So, it only seemed appropriate to send him off with a couple more liters of the good stuff.  And this time I bought it while holding the baby formula I had just purchased next door at Babies R Us.  Because I just can't help but look like parent of the year when buying alcohol, and it never occurred to me that I was doing anything that would get strange looks until, well, I got strange looks.  Namely from the young man at the checkout.

[Shakes head]

I would have attempted to explain the situation to him, but somehow I figured any explanation would only make me look more guilty.  So I simply paid for my vodka, picked up my baby formula and headed back to my car.

Alley Cat and Banner.

And why was I buying baby formula?  Because I got sick AGAIN and the doctor could no longer condone my method of crossing my fingers and trying to will myself to get better against a bacteria that obviously had another agenda.  So, as of last Wednesday, I've been on the good drugs.  Banner can't have my milk until 2 or 3 days after I take my last pill (it is a 10 day course), so I am pumping and dumping in the interim.  Only problem is that the drugs have substantially cut into my ability to make milk, and it is all I can do to produce more than a few ounces.  So I am pumping like crazy when I DO produce in the hopes that I can maintain something until after I swallow that last pill.  Even if that only means pumping hard for two sessions daily to keep from completely drying up, I'll take it.  The pediatrician said that Banner will continue to receive the immune system support if he can have a bottle of the good stuff a day.  I've been rationing out the last of my frozen supplies this week and last, and my hope is to be able to continue to produce a single bottle a day for at least another month or two after the antibiotics leave my system.

On the flip side, though, I have to admit that only pumping two or three times a day is absolutely liberating.  Even if it makes me feel horribly guilty to admit it.  Of course, it helps that the little guy hasn't turned up his nose at formula, and will eagerly down either the ready made "milkshake" or the powdered stuff without even blinking an eye.  He also enjoys trying new solids, and is just - overall - a good eater.  We are very blessed.

Banner's favorite toy at daycare is - hands down - the piano.  
He sees it on the mat, lights up and starts reaching for it.

Not so surprisingly, the little guy LOVES peas.  According to daycare, this isn't always the case with babies.  I'm guessing the babies that don't like peas didn't have a mama that ate a can and a half of peas for dinner quazi-regularly while pregnant.  Next on the list?  Carrots.

Trevor says he thinks it looks like Banner killed a smurf in his latest piece of art.

Speaking of daycare, Banner has started army crawling after me when I put him on the mat in the morning and start heading for the door.  He isn't upset that I am leaving, but seems inclined to try and follow me any way.  Makes it that much harder to leave him.  :(

He has also developed stranger danger lately.  But only with men.  He doesn't like it when he sees the other daycare dads drop off or pick up their kiddos.  Especially, Austin and Emma's fathers.  Banner sees them enter the room, sticks out his lower lip and starts to wail.  The same goes for Uncle Adam, but that might be because he hasn't seen him a lot recently.

In a post pea happy place.

Trevor asked me to pick up Banner last Wednesday because he needed to "work late".  Except he was really just planning to go to the Ranger's game with a group of his coworkers.  I, of course, found out the truth by accident when Trev accidentally spilled the beans while taking baseball with a friend of his in front of me.  Like I'd never figure it out eventually!

Sadly, the group fell apart when they realized that very few of them cared about the baseball game enough to warrant sitting in the 100+ temps for hours.

Wimps.  Obviously, they aren't true fans!

In related news, Trevor is considering spending $100 to buy his son a snow monkey Ranger's toy on ebay.

Haskell is Haskell, not Lassie.  
He tries to tell us stuff and we are still absolutely clueless.

WHAT NOT TO SAY TO A NEW MOTHER #943:  Please refrain from telling me horror stories about children that died in horrible accidents while learning to pull up and walk.  I am still haunted by the tale of the toddler that pulled up on a bird bath in the backyard and was killed when it fell on top of him.  OMG!

The Thor thing continues.

I have the oddest intern in my eight year career at the museum this summer.  She loves doing interviews, but proposed interviewing a pantless guy wearing a ski mask that wants to go by a pseudonym on camera the other day.  Part of me says this is a bad idea and the other part of me wants to see if she is bluffing or not.


Banner loved the beard.

Trevor has been sporting a beard for the last month or two, and Banner absolutely loves it.  He'd "pet" his daddy and pull on his whiskers.  So, we were worried when Trevor shaved it off on Saturday that Banner would no longer recognize his father.  But the B-Man didn't even seem to notice when his dad returned clean shaven.  We either don't give the little guy enough credit to be able to recognize his own parents, or Banner inherited my incredibly poor observation skills.

Have I mentioned how much I love my boys?

In completely unrelated news, I was very upset by Ann Curry's sudden departure from the TODAY SHOW late last week.  Which surprised me because I really didn't think I cared.  I usually have a rather "Meh" feeling about most celebrities.  Well, except for Robert Downey, Jr.  For reasons I don't pretend to understand, I strongly dislike the man and have a tendency to boycott his movies which greatly distresses Trevor (because: IRONMAN!  And SHERLOCK HOLMES!).  But this whole Ann Curry situation has caught me completely off guard.  I think it is because I've been watching her on the show since I was seventeen.  And, well, apparently I don't take too kindly to unnecessary and abrupt changes to my morning routine.  

Stay cool, my babies!

No comments: