Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Maybe it is just the month of April?!

“It has begun to occur to me that life is a stage I’m going through.”

- Ellen Goodman


Remember last April when I was cursed with bad karma? Well, yeah. It’s back.

Since Monday (yes, that would be TWO days ago) the following has occurred:

  • My air conditioner compressor sorta-kinda-almost died within moments of it’s spring check up. Seriously. The AC guy came out to service my system, said everything looked great and left. I then proceeded to go outside and paint my deck (long story. I was exhausted and trying to avoid an afternoon nap) when I heard a long hissing coming from the AC compressor. Further investigation revealed a cold gas that smelled funny leaking out of the unit. Assuming it was the Freon (and thinking THAT wasn’t a good sign), I called the air conditioning company back and told them about the problem. Apparently, no one could come back out to my house that afternoon (even though what’s-his-name had just left), so they told me they’d send someone else out the following morning.

    That night, it was 80 degrees in my house. I slept well, let me tell you. Grrrr…

    The next morning, the repairman shows up just as I was returning home from the gym. After an hour and a half of banging on my machine, he announces that it is completely out of Freon (Duh!). Freon, by the way, that I will have to pay to replace. Which seems weird to me since the damn compressor was working fine BEFORE he “serviced it” the day before.


  • I’m pretty sure Gypsy Kitty has another ear infection. This would only signify bad luck to you if you knew that so far this month she has been to the emergency vet, had her annual checkup, shots and blood work AND was boarded at the vet’s last weekend while I was at my 10 year high school reunion in Maryland. Yeah, Gypsy? Over $600 spent on her since April 1st. Not cool.


  • My internet at home died last night. So, if you were expecting a lot of entries this week, I’m sorry. You will be disappointed. Unless I decide to blog from work, which is unlikely. The only reason I’m blogging from the office right now is because it is after 5 PM and I’m waiting to hear whether or not I’m still needed to give more info for our latest grant application.

    But HOW did I know my internet was down? Well, there was this awesome light show on my wireless box thingy, followed by…well, nothing. All the lights went out and didn’t come back on. So, I unplugged it and tried a different plug (Nothing!). Then I tried resetting the stupid thing (Again. Nothing!). Finally, I called costumer service and talked to some guy named Frank somewhere overseas. And, guess what? Frank had me REPEAT everything I had already tried just to see if I got the same result while he was on the phone, which I did (even though it annoyed me to no end). The end result: Frank declared my wireless box thingy to be “dead”, which was something I had already determined before I called him. So, yeah. That was fun.

    And now, I get to call the Sales Department and order a new internet box thingy for the bargain price of several hundred dollars (I don’t believe Frank when he says I’ll get some sort of discount).

    But my favorite was the following conversation I had with Frank:

    Frank: “I’d transfer you to Sales, but they are already closed for the evening.”

    Me: “What are their hours?”

    Frank: “Nine to five.”

    Me: “Eastern?”

    Frank: “What?”

    Me: “Which time zone is the Sales Department located in?”

    Frank: “What does that mean?”

    Me: “Well, there are four time zones in the U.S….”

    Frank: “Yes, but I’m not located in the U.S.”

    Me: “Yeah, but it sounds like Sales is since they are only open from nine to five.”

    Frank: “And why does it matter if it is one time zone or another?”

    Me: “Because I want to call when Sales is open, and if they are located in the Eastern time zone I will have to make sure I call them tomorrow at work because they will be closed before I get home. But if they are located in California, I can wait to call until after I get home tomorrow evening.”

    Frank: “I see. So…what are my options again?”

    Me: “Eastern, Central, Mountain and Pacific.”

    Frank: “Hmmmmm. I don’t know, but if I had to guess I’d say ‘Central’.”


OMG, Frank! You’re killing me! KILLING ME!

And no I haven’t ordered a new internet box thingy, because when I called today on my lunch hour the Sales Department was closed. So, I may never get this issue resolved, which is sad because I have so much to post about:

- My 10 year high school reunion
- Bob the Beagle
- Ann Richards and the paper dolls

Alas! To say I am frustrated would be the understatement of the year.

3 comments:

This is my life so far said...

hey I want to hear all about your 10 year reunion. Email me and tell me if you are not able to post.

Anonymous said...

I heard that most of those overseas jobs have come back. People were just so tired of Sanjay they quit buying stuff and the logistics were a nightmare. Anyway, it figures ... the cable company.

Let me know what they say you need and I'll let you know the real price.

~Jef

Lia said...

You need an Incident Report a la RR.

"trying to avoid an afternoon nap". Error! Could not process!