Saturday, June 28, 2008

We will all meet again at the Rainbow Bridge...

Like my hat?!
Just heard from the birdie vet. Palomo has taken a turn for the worst.

It was all looking up for the little dove. This morning, the vet told me that she thought Palomo might make a full recovery. Then, for reasons no one understands, Palomo started having a hard time breathing this afternoon. Concerned, the vet relocated him to a type of birdie oxygen chamber. Two hours later, though, and Palomo was getting worse instead of better. That’s when the vet called me. She was worried that he wouldn’t survive the night. He seemed to be slowly suffocating right in front of her – despite all measures. She wasn’t willing to give up just yet, though, and tried one last thing to save him.

It didn’t work.

About an hour ago, she called back. Her voice cracked as she recommended we euthanize him – I could tell she was on the verge of tears.

I asked if Amy and I could come to the clinic and be with Palomo as he went to sleep. But the clinic was closed – the vet was working late in an effort to try and save him.

I started to cry, and asked if she’d tell him that we all love him. Let him know he was a good bird. That we’d all miss him.

She promised she would.

Goodbye, little buddy. You were never just a bird to us, and we will keep you in our hearts forever...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THAT PICTURE OF POPE-O!! Is that, by chance, the one of him sitting a rather well-endowed pink flamingo???

Thank you for U-Gu-Koli-zing him so well.

Denise said...

Aww, I'm so sorry! :(

Deals On Wheels said...

It is the picture of him sitting on the pink flamingo. I wanted to post a picture of him looking at the camera with all his feathers (Palomo has been sporting the "vulture look" now for years), and that was the only one I could find without scanning one into my computer.

Glad you liked his little birdie eulogy. I went by mom’s house today to check on things, and got all misty eyed when I saw his three story condo just like I left it last Sunday. You almost expect to see him sitting in there. Very, very sad.

He’s in a better place now…

The Three of Us said...

Oh Deals, I am so very sorry. Just think, he is much better off, all the bird luxuries plus foxy birdies, maybe with cheeks like Addie's. My thoughts are with you!!
m

Mommy's World said...

Awwww I am SO sorry Deals!!! A pet really becomes a member of the family and saying goodbye is never easy. I am thinking about you and your family. Love you so much!!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your bird. Let me know if I can do anything for you. - mandy

Anonymous said...

I'm going to miss Palomo and his special "tricks".

Anonymous said...

Oh, just read your blog. I’m so sorry about Polomo! Know you all are sad.

Love,
Mimi