Sunday, June 08, 2008

Well, boo…

Hi,

So, I was driving south on 67 in the Hill Country when I was passed by a gravel truck heading north. Said gravel truck showered my windshield with pebbles, and now I have three or four small dings (two of which look like spider webs the size of my thumb nail) decorating my view of the road. Obviously, it is only a matter of time until all the dings spread, and I have to get a new windshield. However, I remembered listening to your show several weeks ago and hearing that it is possible to inject something into windshield dings that seals and prevents them from spreading into giant cracks. I’ve called three or four different companies so far – including my dealership – and either:

  1. No one knows what I’m talking about.

  2. They used to offer a service like that, but no longer do.

  3. I’m told it is easier just to get the windshield replaced (and they’d be happy to do it for the bargain price of [insert large number here]).


I recall that you recommended a company for windshield injections – any chance I can get their name and number? When I heard it on your show, I made mental note of the topic, but didn’t think to write down any of the contact information you disclosed on air (my windshield was still fine at the time). Or is there any other advice that you can offer?

Thanks in advance,
[Deals]

[Deals],

I am going to say that with 4 places to fix, it will be cheaper to just replace it. Each place takes a significant amount to time. If it were just one place, it might be cheaper but I doubt it in your case.

The good news is the same place does both so he can tell you for sure. Call Troy at ASAP Auto glass, (214) 476-XXXX.

Best of luck! I appreciate you listening to the show very much my friend.

Jerry Reynolds
Talk Show Host
www.carguyshow.com

My new plan of attack is to wait for the cracks to spread and/or become irritatingly unbearable before calling all over the metroplex researching and gathering quotes.

Sigh. Why is nothing ever easy?

I'm sure the new windshield will whistle after I get it installed. Because I'm lucky like that.

Case in point: Last month I was supposed to go camping. I was meeting everyone at the lake around lunchtime. Except I didn’t actually LEAVE for the lake until after 5 PM. A screw had punctured my back, left tire and I spent the afternoon at NTB getting it sealed (they were busy and fixing my tire wasn’t a high priority). And then I got lost trying to find the lake. As in I’m-not-sure-where-I-live-anymore kind of lost. Great day that was…

So, yeah. The new windshield will whistle. Mark my words.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

PIB-
There are a few great places up here to do that!! It's a common occurance, what with all the gravel they put on the roads for snow. Come visit!! You can make a vacation of it.

Heart,
Turd

PS, bring Trevor

Anonymous said...

It's shame you didn't get a name or number from the truck, because he was liable for the damage and you could have made him pay for it. I have 4 little places on my windshield and one was fixed with the injection. It was a poor job and it spread. So I'm just waiting to have it replaced. I called around some places do it for a set price. Why wait for it to spread? Just get it fixed. Binswager is a great place. I go there for stuff, but looking around can get you a good price. Insurance also covers part of it. But usually the deductible is equal to the price of a new windshield.

~Jef

Beast1624 said...

About a year and a half ago they were repaving Grauwyler where our street runs into it. My wife was stuck following a cement truck. It went under a low limb, pulled it back & it snapped off going straight through the windshield nearly impaling her and showering her with glass.

It took about a week and a half but we finally got the construction company to pay us for a new windshield.

I tried the injection thing on a truck once and it held for about a year then started to spread.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Actually, there's a little known law that makes it NOT the gravel truck's fault, or snow plow's truck, etc. If the gravel hits the road before it hits your car, it's technically your fault for following too closely... The truck (or plow) is only responsible if the pebble falls from the truck directly onto the car and does damage-- so yeah, that pretty much never happens.

-Will

Deals On Wheels said...

Actually, the gravel DID fall directly from the truck and hit my windshield before hitting the ground first. As I said, the truck was northbound on 67. I was southbound. So, the gravel fell off the truck and hit my windshield. I wasn’t following too closely because…well, I wasn’t FOLLOWING the truck. We were going in opposite directions. I’m pretty sure the gravel would have cracked my windshield if I was completely stopped and got passed by the gravel truck. It just made matters worse that we were both going the speed limit in different directions.

I could have stopped, turned around, chased down the gravel truck and reported the vehicle, but it didn’t seem safe to pull a 180 on a two lane highway and then try and speed to catch up to it. Don’t get me wrong: I was pissed about the windshield. I just wasn’t willing to risk my life on the off chance I could hold the gravel truck responsible for it.

RR said...

Try putting clear nail polish on the dings. That's what I did on my windshield. I didn't do the best job, so it looks kind of tacky, but so far, none of the three dings in my windshield have spread, and they were acquired several years ago.