Monday, June 02, 2008

My favorite story from last week…

One of the museum’s board members came in last week to work on a project. Technically, her assignment did not require the assistance of any of the museum staff (as this particular project only required putting together binders of information for an upcoming meeting).

So, imagine our surprise when said board member:

  1. Needed help designing multiple Excel spreadsheets (Okay, Excel can be complicated…).


  2. Asserted that she didn’t know how use the museum’s copy machine (I guess strange machines are intimidating if you aren’t familiar with them…).


  3. Denied knowing how to use a hole punch (Hole punches can be trick…Uhmmmm, wait. Whaaat?!).


The thing is, had the board member just stuck to needing help making spreadsheets and copies, no one would have doubted her (she’s older and seems to fear computers and machines), but…c’mon! A hole punch?! There haven’t been very many advances in hole punch technology…like, ever. You just stick papers in the slot and push the lever down – Ta-Da: holes! It couldn’t be more simple.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it that you said "A hole" and then there was a new line on my screen almost like you were saying "A-hole!".

~Jef

Anonymous said...

Don't be too sure old ladies know how to work a hole punch! Tonight I was in a meeting and Robert Oliver was punching holes in a stack of papers. I had two pages that needed holes so I asked for the hole punch. He offered to punch the holes for me but I told him I could do it. Well, wouldn't you know...I punched the holes and only two of them punched--Don't know what happened to the third!

XXX
DQ