Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Figs!

The fig tree at my new house has fruit! I cannot begin to tell you how much this excites me. Weeeeeeeeee!




It is a bit of a challenge to get to the ripe figs before the birds do, so I've been pulling them off once they start to turn red.

I've decided the tree is still pretty young, which explains why the figs are a little on the small side. Since I have no plans to move any time soon, though, I have years to discover whether or not I am right.




Now, if I only knew how to make fig newtons...

4 comments:

JLR said...

How exciting! And good to know for future reference. If I ever get around to buying a house, I was planning on planting a fig tree. I'm glad to hear that they can be successful in this part of the country.

RR said...

Yum! Figs! Good to know they'll grow here. I was wondering about that.

Denise said...

Yay, figs! I should plant a tree that produces something! An apple tree, or something - I don't know if figs would grow up here. :)

Deals On Wheels said...

JLR: I have a distinct memory of you not liking figs. I remember a box of newtons from Central Market that you thought you would like, but were brought to me instead. I think your reasoning was that they were “too figgy”.

RR: Apparently, fig trees are very hearty and can take a lot of abuse. The old owners of our house allowed a hackberry to grow up in the middle of our fig tree, but the fig tree continued to live despite the adversity. The hackberry was the first thing to go once we closed, though, and the fig tree is beaming now that someone loves and is (trying very hard) to take proper care of it.

Denise: Maybe a pear tree? My mom planted one at her cabin in Durango and it is apparently thriving. They have hard winters and cool summers up there, so it might work in upstate New York, too.