Wednesday, February 03, 2010

If you give a mouse a cookie and then lock him outside; he will never ever forgive you...

Bad Daddy...

Last night, while getting ready for bed, I noticed that Gypsy was acting nervous and pacing back and forth around the bedroom. Trevor, who was trying to sleep, was intermittently roused by Gypsy staring intensely at him or attempting to lick his face.

Thinking that she must need to go outside, I opened the French doors off the master bedroom and let her out. And that is when I first heard it:

Squeak! Squeak! Squeak!

At first, I assumed that it was Haskell trying to figure out why the alarm had beeped (as it always does when a door is opened in the house), and dismissed it.

Squeak! Squeak! Sqeeeeeeeeeak!

Then, I notice that Gypsy was acting strangely in the backyard. She was wagging her whole body and running to and from the side of the house where the dog run is located. It was a total Lassie moment.

Squeak! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak!

Haskell?

And that is when I finally realized that poor Haskell had been left outside when Trevor was locking up for the evening.

I immediately woke up Trevor:

Me: “You left Haskell outside!”

Trevor: “Huh? Did not!”

Me: “Did, too. I can hear him squeaking in the dog run.”

Trevor: “No, he is in his bed.”

Me: “Wanna bet?”

Trevor, eager to prove me wrong, made a beeline to the study and turned on the light – fully expecting to see Haskell curled up in a tight little ball. Except Haskell's bed was empty.

Trevor: “Haskell?”

Me: “I told you! He is outside! You left him outside!”

Trevor: “Well, I guess that explains why the motion sensor in the dog run is still on.”

I opened the kitchen door, and Haskell appeared quickly through the doggie door opening in the storm door. With a snort in our direction, he ran past us to his doggie bed and curled up with a somewhat dramatic sigh.

I tried to apologize for Trevor, but Haskell would barely even look at me. This is much worse than the time he was accidentally locked in the garage for forty five minutes a month or two ago.

This will probably take years of therapy to correct. I know Haskell will never forget, but I hope one day he will be able to forgive.

Poor Haskell.

3 comments:

trevor said...

He needed a reminder of how good he has it now compared to when he was living on the streets...Plus he had his coat on.

Denise said...

Aww, poor Haskell! I did that to Willow a couple of weeks ago. She went out with Rosebud, and I let Rosie in and shut the lights off. Jim and I were sitting on the couch watching TV, and like 15 or 20 minutes after I had let the dogs out, I heard a scratch on the door. Oops! It was cold out, too. I gave her lots of treats to make up for it, though. :D

RR said...

Poor Haskell, indeed! That must have been so traumatic for him! He's delicate.