Monday, January 04, 2010

Just when you thought Haskell was a dumb dog…


A couple of weeks ago, I was sitting on the couch playing (stupid) Farmville. It was late and Trevor had already gone to bed. Haskell, however, was discontent. Both Alley and Gypsy had fallen asleep on his bed in the study, and there was no room for him to squeeze in between them.

So, just like a little kid, Haskell came to “mommy” and started squeaking at me as if to say:

Haskell: “They stole my bed! They stole my bed! They stole my bed! Make them move!”

I, however, was comfortable where I was and had no intention of getting up and making the girls move. That would require effort. So, I ignored Haskell’s squeaks, and – after about 5 minutes – he finally gave up, settled down on the rug in the study and (presumably) fell asleep.

Or so I thought.

About 15 minutes had gone by when Haskell suddenly started to growl. I could see him from where I was sitting on the couch, and a shiver went up my spine when I noticed that he was staring at the front door with great intensity. Was somebody there? An intruder perhaps?

While I was contemplating my next move (namely: waking Trevor up and making him investigate), both Gypsy and Alley ran to the front door barking ferociously. The sudden noise startled me, and I jumped to my feet; heart pumping with adrenaline.

And Haskell? Yeah, the second the girls got up, he casually walked over to his bed and curled up in a ball - sighing dramatically in accomplishment. His bed finally reclaimed.

It was all a farce. There was never anyone or anything outside. Haskell just wanted his bed back, and no one would help him recapture it. So, he had to take matters into his own hands paws.

Manipulative little ba$tard.

3 comments:

Denise said...

Ha! He's a clever one. :)

Anonymous said...

That just might be my new favorite Haskell story.

Princess Ariel said...

That actually made me chuckle out loud. I once read that dogs are smarter than the average two year old.