Monday, April 05, 2010

And in one corner of our yard, an Asian theme emerges...


Over the weekend, I took Trevor with me to pick out some herbs for our new window box planter off the kitchen. I enjoy gardening, and I have been trying (somewhat desperately) to engage Trevor in one of my favorite springtime activities.

Plus, we had a $40 gift card to Redenta's Garden that needed spending.

Anyway, I show Trevor the herb section of the garden store, but my husband shows little to no interest. So, we walk around the store looking for something to catch his fancy. Nothing does except a $200 Japanese Maple Tree.

Forty dollar gift card, Trev. Forty dollars.

In an effort to encourage him, however, I suggest that he pick out something whimsical. A birdbath, pot or gnomelike statue perhaps. With that, Trevor grins ear to ear and disappears to the back. Two minutes later, he reappears with a statue of a Buddha in hand. A Buddha, might I add, that cost $12 more than our gift card and is now sitting underneath our existing Japanese Maple in the backyard.

My window box planter, meanwhile, remains both empty and herbless.

2 comments:

Grammy Pammy said...

I have a LOT of mint...you can come and dig some for free! I also have a little rosemary plant that looks a little puny, but I'm sure with your love and care will thrive! Both could do well in a planter box or in the yard...

So, if you're interested let me know!
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I always thought these were beautiful trees.